posted to rec.boats,rec.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.dirt

Default OT Semantics of "2-cycle" versus "2-stroke"

In article m,
says...

On 8/3/2012 4:23 PM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 05:29:58 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

I'm looking at gas/petrol stabilizers, Sea Foam and STA-BIL.

On their FAQ page, both of them refer to a "2-stroke" engine as a
"2-cycle" engine.

Uhg.

It's only semantics, but you would think that those manufacturers
would know the difference between a "stroke" and a "cycle".

Per Merriam-Webster...

stroke:
the movement in either direction of a mechanical part (as a
piston) having a reciprocating motion; also : the distance of
such movement
cycle:
a course or series of events or operations that recur regularly
and usually lead back to the starting point

"2-stroke" "4-stroke" engine

About 3,270,000 results

"2-cycle" "4-cycle" engine

About 427,000 results (0.48 seconds)

Using "cycle" is not a big deal for casual speakers, but besides
being less popular, it's semantical nonsense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_cycle

I believe that using "4-stroke cycle" is more correct than either
4-stroke or 4-cycle. It takes 4 strokes to make a cycle.

Until you get to Wankel engines, in which case I don't think there is
anything stroking.

DTA

Sure there is. It's a four stroke.

Does it take 2 revolutions to complete a cycle?

If you want to be technical it's an Otto cycle, which is the same as a
four-stroke piston engine. A lot of people think that there's something
fundamentally different about a Wankel--there isn't, it just uses a
weirdly shaped piston.
posted to rec.boats,rec.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.dirt

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 07:42:40 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

If you want to be technical it's an Otto cycle, which is the same as a
four-stroke piston engine. A lot of people think that there's something
fundamentally different about a Wankel--there isn't, it just uses a
weirdly shaped piston.

===

But most importantly, the piston does not change direction
(reciprocate).

On 8/3/2012 12:29 AM, John Doe wrote:
I'm looking at gas/petrol stabilizers, Sea Foam and STA-BIL.

On their FAQ page, both of them refer to a "2-stroke" engine as a
"2-cycle" engine.

Uhg.

It's only semantics, but you would think that those manufacturers
would know the difference between a "stroke" and a "cycle".
[...]

My solution is to call them "2-smokes" and "Otto cycle", respectively.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
posted to rec.boats,rec.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.dirt

"Tom $herman (-_-)" " wrote in
message ...
On 8/3/2012 12:29 AM, John Doe wrote:
I'm looking at gas/petrol stabilizers, Sea Foam and STA-BIL.

On their FAQ page, both of them refer to a "2-stroke" engine as a
"2-cycle" engine.

Uhg.

It's only semantics, but you would think that those manufacturers
would know the difference between a "stroke" and a "cycle".
[...]

My solution is to call them "2-smokes" and "Otto cycle", respectively.

"Stinkwheels". Any other type of machine/engine/motor is of no consequence,
so a description isn't really needed.

--
Beav

Beav wrote:

"Stinkwheels". Any other type of machine/engine/motor is of no consequence,
so a description isn't really needed.

And if it's had the usual teenage home-grown 'improvements' grafted on,
"stinkwheel with Git Kit".

--
Honda CB400 Four Triumph Street Triple Ducati 800SS
Yamaha 660 Tenere Suzuki GN250, TS250ERx2
posted to rec.boats,rec.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.dirt

Now I am seeing the same garbage on major namebrand two-stroke oil
containers.

I give up.

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

I see it in quite simple terms.

A 2 stroke engine requires the piston to travel 2 full strokes to complete
the cycle needed to get the gas in and the gas out (induction, compression,
power, exhaust) and be ready to do it all again to continue running.

A 4 stroke requires 4 strokes of the piston to do the same thing.

2 cycle is wrong, 4 cycle is wrong.

--
Beav