posted to rec.boats,rec.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.dirt

Default OT Semantics of "2-cycle" versus "2-stroke"

I'm looking at gas/petrol stabilizers, Sea Foam and STA-BIL.

On their FAQ page, both of them refer to a "2-stroke" engine as a
"2-cycle" engine.

Uhg.

It's only semantics, but you would think that those manufacturers
would know the difference between a "stroke" and a "cycle".

Per Merriam-Webster...

stroke:
the movement in either direction of a mechanical part (as a
piston) having a reciprocating motion; also : the distance of
such movement

cycle:
a course or series of events or operations that recur regularly
and usually lead back to the starting point

"2-stroke" "4-stroke" engine

About 3,270,000 results

"2-cycle" "4-cycle" engine

About 427,000 results (0.48 seconds)

Using "cycle" is not a big deal for casual speakers, but besides
being less popular, it's semantical nonsense.

--
I realize this might rub some Sea Foam or STA-BIL fan boys the
wrong way, but oh well.

On 8/3/2012 1:29 AM, John Doe wrote:
[...]

In bikes we refer to 2t and 4t....

On 8/3/2012 7:05 AM, JustWait wrote:
[...]

Ooops, thought I was still in the other group.. This is the bikes, oooops...
posted to rec.boats,rec.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.dirt

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 05:29:58 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_cycle

I believe that using "4-stroke cycle" is more correct than either
4-stroke or 4-cycle. It takes 4 strokes to make a cycle.

Until you get to Wankel engines, in which case I don't think there is
anything stroking.

DTA

David T. Ashley dashley gmail.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

I'm not talking about technical correctness, I'm referring to
a significant semantical blunder.

What matters is the number of strokes per cycle. The number of
cycles is irrelevant.

--

Until you get to Wankel engines, in which case I don't think
there is anything stroking.

DTA

posted to rec.boats,rec.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.dirt

In article , lid says...

John Doe wrote:

[...]

At least you aren't calling them motors.

"like"

Motor is an acceptable synonym for engine.

--
I'm a liberal because the militant fundamentalist ignorant
science-denying religious xenophobic corporate oligarchy of modern
posted to rec.boats,rec.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.dirt

Congratulations, it's a troll...

From: BAR screw you.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats,rec.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.dirt
Subject: OT Semantics of "2-cycle" versus "2-stroke"
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 16:47:20 -0400

In article jvh7bb$vfs$1 dont-email.me, jdoe usenetlove.invalid says...

From: BAR screw you.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats,rec.motorcycles,rec.motorcycles.dirt
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 16:47:20 -0400

[...]

Yeah, finally saw that. He must be ****ed that nobody is listening to