Default The new Google Groups went into effect today...

On 7/23/12 12:52 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 08:26:17 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 7/23/12 8:00 AM, iBoaterer wrote:
In article , dump-on-
says...

On 7/22/12 3:15 PM, John H wrote:
On Friday, July 20, 2012 6:20:57 PM UTC-4, Tim wrote:
And it totally stinks. Looks like I'm finally going to need a news reader....

And, BTW, although some folks find Agent to be incredibly complex, it's really pretty simple to use.

Besides, I'm only a phone call away.

That should be funny: Herring the computer moron giving computer
software advice.

Hey, at least he can run Agent, the one you find too complex!

I never said or implied I couldn't run agent. I just find it too complex
for the simple task of reading a couple of usenet groups with very few
postings. It's very very dated software, even though it is out in a
newer version.

Once you get Agent configured for your use it is very simple to
operate. The other good thing is the version I use does not really get
"installed" so it can run from a thumb drive on any machine and when
you pull the drive out it is gone without a trace. Everything stays on
the thumb drive. That is handy if you use more than one machine.

Agent is really aimed at binary users tho.

I am not sure what you mean by "dated". Usenet itself is dated and
hasn't changed in a decade or two. Why would the software have to
change?

I don't require software to run from a thumb drive, and when I sell off
my used apple computers to buy new ones, I wipe the drives clean with a
scrubbing program that allegedly provides a wipe sufficient for some
government agencies or other. In any event, good enough. I don't
download binaries. Therefore, my comment stands...Agent is too complex
for the simple task of reading and posting to the couple of usenet
groups I still follow.

Why would the software change? To add ease of use?

On 7/23/12 2:00 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:59:41 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

On 7/23/12 12:52 PM,
wrote:

[...]

If you thought Agent was hard to use, you just did not customize it
for your use.
I have 2 versions running. One is set up for text groups and one for
binary groups. The top line buttons do different things.

As for the portability, I have more than one machine. If I want to
move from this desk top to my laptop, I sync to a thumb drive, plug
the thumb drive in my laptop and go. All of my newsgroup pointers and
saved posts move with it. When I get home, I just sync the thumb to my
hard drive and it is back here. I can also plug that thumb drive into
the hotel lobby machine (or any other machine) and run from there if I
want to. Then when I leave, everything leaves with me.
Nothing gets written on their hard drive, registry or otherwise.

I didn't say it was hard to use. I said it was too complex for the
simple tasks I need a usenet/email client to handle.

I have three "computers" I currently use: a desktop, an iPad and an
iPhone and I have an 8 terabyte server. All my email is synched
automatically for me, as are my calenders, address books, business
files, work product, et cetera.

I have lots of hard drive space and have no problems having whatever I
want written to hard drive...written to hard drives without much
intervention on my part. Even the web pages I design, edit and maintain
for clients back up automatically every night to my server.

So, if what you do works for you, fine. I don't like Agent. Never have,
and I've looked it over every year for more than a decade. I'm amazed it
is still around, actually. Hardly anyone uses it.

On Friday, July 20, 2012 7:20:57 PM UTC-3, Tim wrote:
And it totally stinks. Looks like I'm finally going to need a news reader....

Just changed on me today.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 23, 2:15*pm, wrote:
On Friday, July 20, 2012 7:20:57 PM UTC-3, Tim wrote:
And it totally stinks. Looks like I'm finally going to need a news reader....

Just changed on me today.

Yep. But Don, if you go up to the upper right to the gear wheel, you
can switch it back to the older version of Groups. At least for a
while.

On Jul 23, 7:38*pm, Tim wrote:
On Jul 23, 2:15*pm, wrote:

On Friday, July 20, 2012 7:20:57 PM UTC-3, Tim wrote:
And it totally stinks. Looks like I'm finally going to need a news reader....

Just changed on me today.

Yep. But Don, if you go up to the upper right to the gear wheel, you
can switch it back to the older version of Groups. At least for a
while.

Looks like they want me to register in the new groups.
Maybe I'll do as you suggest for the near future.

In article ,
says...

On 7/22/12 3:15 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

Crap, now Harry is going to duplicate what you do!

On 7/23/12 7:52 PM, BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 7/22/12 3:15 PM, John H wrote:
[...]

Fall on your head too many times while guarding marine latrines?

Google Groups users tired of seeing china spam? Tim General 10 April 4th 08 12:36 PM
Cause and effect ~ Wind Joe ASA 1 May 22nd 07 07:41 PM
Coincidence or Cause and Effect? Jim Irvine General 1 November 29th 03 10:16 PM