Default Watching the light be lit

Recently, we were in Hopetown in the Abacos and we met the lighthouse keeper. He asked if we'd like to watch him light the light. "Sure" we said because the light mechanism is original from 1863 and it burns Kerosene. So, inside the tower, he has to haul a 5 gal container of kero up to the top with a pulley and empty it into the original tank. He then pumps it to pressure with an 1863 hand pump. He goes up to the light and opens a valve and preheats it by getting a tiny flame. After 10 minutes, he opens a valve and a large Coleman mantle like thing lights up slowly. He then opens curtains around the glass of the windows. When I asked why they had curtains, I was surprised to learn that otherwise the sun would come thru the huge Fresnel lenses and set the mechanism afire (these are BIG Fresnel lenses). The entire light mechanism weighing several tons is floating on a pool of mercury and has so little friction you can turn it with a finger. He then winds a falling weight clockwork mechanism to cause the light to rotate. TRULY, TRULY cool steampunk fantasy. he has to climb the stairs every two hours at night to wind the mechanism.

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 13:45:18 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

[...]

===

That's very cool. We've been up to the top of the Hopetown light but
were never privy to the inner workings and details.

Here's a picture taken from the top:

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/viewsingleimage.html?mode=singleimage&orig_handle= WayneBatRecDotBoats&orig_number=23&handle=WayneBat RecDotBoats&number=23&album_id=8#slideanchor

Notice that fine looking trawler docked in the lower left. :-)

wrote:

[...]

Spectacular shot and spectacular trawler! (You *are* referring to the trawler with the dingy at the
bow and the topless maiden on the foredeck, yes?)

wrote:

[...]

You missed the one in the cockpit.

wrote:

[...]

There ain't no friggin' dingy in the damn cockpit!

wrote:

[...]

It's curious that you thought I was referring to a dinghy

wrote:

[...]

=====

Good eye John, didn't think you'd spot the dinghy.

wrote:

[...]

Hell, I even saw that and I am blind as a bat
Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 9, 9:53*am, Wayne B wrote:

Notice that fine looking trawler docked in the lower left. * :-)

Ah! the LLG! Beautiful craft!

Tim Tim is offline

On Jun 9, 5:12*pm, Tim wrote:
On Jun 9, 9:53*am, Wayne B wrote:

Notice that fine looking trawler docked in the lower left. * :-)

Ah! the LLG! *Beautiful craft!

I leant to say the "LLL"

Bad typing on my part (as usual)