Default That's some concrete!

66-foot concrete dock washes ashore in Oregon, may be from 2011 Japan
tsunami

A massive, 66-foot concrete dock mysteriously washed up on the Oregon
shore this week. And officials are trying to figure out if the floating
structure had traveled all the way from Japan after the March 2011 tsunami.

Local affiliate KATU reports that the dock has a placard with Japanese
writing that they are attempting to translate. In addition, the station
traced a phone number on the placard to a business located in Tokyo.

The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department sent a picture of the placard
to the Japanese consulate in Portland for review.

"We don't know where it's from," said Chris Havel with the parks
department. "We don't know if it's from Japan or not but we have to
eliminate those possibilities as we go forward."

http://tinyurl.com/6vdxv6n

We're trying to figure out why this thing is still floating:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governo...sellini_Bridge
Evergreen_Point

--
Paul Hovnanian
If the first attempt at making a drawing board had been a failure,

On Jun 8, 9:16*am, iBoaterer wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 11:34:02 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

[...]

Floating concrete surface docks are fairly common. I suppose it could
be from the US but the timing does seem to point to Japan.

I've read articles about how during WW2 they were experimenting with
concrete boats.

No kidding.
Look up the term ferrocement. There was a good sized boat like that on
the hard at a local yacht club.
I believe it was for sale at that point.

In ,

wrote:

[...]

I saw a concrete sailboat in the 50 ft range. It was ketch rigged if I
recall. Painted royal blue. She was/is a honey.

b.com...

wrote:

[...]

--------------------------------------
They built a bunch of ships. Were mostly one way trip boats I think. there
is one that you used to be able to fish off of, but the years have made in
unsafe at one of the Santa Cruz Beaches.
http://www.concreteships.org/ships/ww1/paloalto/

wrote in message ...

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 18:53:11 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That and the fact it has Japanese writing and a Tokyo phone number on
it.

Now they have actually identified some hitchhikers on the dock that
only come from the western Pacific so we are sure where it came from.
Now the worry is that some of these things may be invasive exotics.

--------------------------------
Probably no more invasive things than we already have.

wrote in message ...

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:44:26 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

Now they have actually identified some hitchhikers on the dock that
only come from the western Pacific so we are sure where it came from.
Now the worry is that some of these things may be invasive exotics.

--------------------------------
Probably no more invasive things than we already have.

The scary thing about invasives is you don't know how much trouble
they will be until they are here. It could be a subtle thing that ends
up screwing up the Dungeness Crab harvest or something.

------------------
We have most of the nasty invasives already. Ballast water mostly. They
now have to change ballast water a couple hundred miles out to sea now.
Biggest local problem is the Mitten Crab. They breed in the brackish waters
and eat most everything Last couple years have not been as bad. We think
the local sport fish and sturgeon have acquired a taste for them.

concrete submarine yacht is possible and affordable wellmer Boat Building 13 December 26th 11 03:03 AM
Concrete basskisser[_2_] General 13 July 27th 11 01:46 PM
Concrete world Joe ASA 9 April 25th 07 02:49 AM
How to move boat from concrete blocks to trailers nancy2u General 2 June 18th 06 12:32 PM
How to move boat from concrete blocks to trailers nancy2u Electronics 1 June 18th 06 06:34 AM