Default How the Confederate Navy (indirectly) ended a war in the Pacific Northwest

Then considered America's "longest war", an armed standoff between US
and British troops on San Juan Island was part of a larger border
dispute. The simplified, popular version of the tale recounts that the
war began when a US settler shot a Hudson Bay Company pig, but very
few people actually know how the war ended. Find out how the
Confederate Navy played an important role in the crazy political drama
that finally ended the war and established a permanent international
border.

www.pacnwboat.com

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:43:16 -0700 (PDT), Chuck Gould
wrote:

Then considered America's "longest war", an armed standoff between US
and British troops on San Juan Island was part of a larger border
dispute. The simplified, popular version of the tale recounts that the
war began when a US settler shot a Hudson Bay Company pig, but very
few people actually know how the war ended. Find out how the
Confederate Navy played an important role in the crazy political drama
that finally ended the war and established a permanent international
border.

www.pacnwboat.com

===

Good article Chuck and nice job with the electronic formatting of the
magazine - looks good and is highly readable.

We still have fond memories of our trip to San Juan Island and the
Roche Harbor Resort, just wish we'd had more time. We met a nice
group of folks at the marina who offered to take us out for a sail on
their Catalina 50 but we had to pass because of our tight schedule.

http://www.rocheharbor.com/Home.html

On 6/2/2012 8:03 AM, Wayne.B wrote:

We still have fond memories of our trip to San Juan Island and the
Roche Harbor Resort, just wish we'd had more time. We met a nice
group of folks at the marina who offered to take us out for a sail on
their Catalina 50 but we had to pass because of our tight schedule.

http://www.rocheharbor.com/Home.html

I second the recommendation. We've had several nice stays there.

On Jun 2, 12:43*am, Chuck Gould wrote:
Then considered America's "longest war", an armed standoff between US
and British troops on San Juan Island was part of a larger border
dispute. The simplified, popular version of the tale recounts that the
war began when a US settler shot a Hudson Bay Company pig, but very
few people actually know how the war ended. Find out how the
Confederate Navy played an important role in the crazy political drama
that finally ended the war and established a permanent international
border.

www.pacnwboat.com

I get a Google error message saying your site can't be found.
Are you allowed to send your info over the border?

On 6/3/2012 7:02 AM, North Star wrote:
On Jun 2, 12:43 am, Chuck wrote:
Then considered America's "longest war", an armed standoff between US
and British troops on San Juan Island was part of a larger border
dispute. The simplified, popular version of the tale recounts that the
war began when a US settler shot a Hudson Bay Company pig, but very
few people actually know how the war ended. Find out how the
Confederate Navy played an important role in the crazy political drama
that finally ended the war and established a permanent international
border.

www.pacnwboat.com

I get a Google error message saying your site can't be found.
Are you allowed to send your info over the border?

Must be a Canadian censorship thing.

On Friday, June 1, 2012 11:43:16 PM UTC-4, Chuck Gould wrote:
Then considered America's "longest war", an armed standoff between US
and British troops on San Juan Island was part of a larger border
dispute. The simplified, popular version of the tale recounts that the
war began when a US settler shot a Hudson Bay Company pig, but very
few people actually know how the war ended. Find out how the
Confederate Navy played an important role in the crazy political drama
that finally ended the war and established a permanent international
border.

www.pacnwboat.com

Nicely done, Chuck. That's what I'd call a 'very interesting' boating post! I also like the article about the Lehr small outboards. If I needed a small outboard, I'd sure be looking into one of those.

I agree with Wayne's comments about the internet version of the magazine. Very easy to peruse.

On 6/3/2012 10:08 AM, John H wrote:
[...]

I wonder if that Lehr was designed and engineered by Karen's blokes,
down under?

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 12:25:08 -0400, Oscar wrote:

[...]

Perhaps it was! Bernardo Jorge Herzer, the CEO of Lehr, was a licensed ship's captain, spent a lot
of time at sea, and, in fact, made trips to Australia. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't get his
great ideas from Karen.

On 6/3/12 12:51 PM, John H. wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 12:25:08 -0400, wrote:

[...]

snerk

Now *that* is funny. What great ideas would Herzer get from Karen of Oz?
How to weld a rusty diesel engine ontop of a handbuilt rusty lower unit
and call it an outboard motor?

Herzer's company has a propane fueled four cycle engine on its outboard.
It also has similarly powered lawn tools.

On 6/3/2012 1:02 PM, X ` Man wrote:
On 6/3/12 12:51 PM, John H. wrote:
[...]

Now that's really funny. Krause making a comment on the design and
manufacture of engines. A topic on which he knows next to nothing. I'll
give him one point for staying somewhat on topic, albeit a nasty,
condescending, demeaning, and totally inappropriate comment. Good going
Krausie. You haven't lost your touch.