Default Great day on the Potomac

Took younger daughter, husband, and the grandkids out for a day of playing, tubing and eating on the
Potomac yesterday. Left Quantico and headed north to a place called Leesylvania State Park. Nice
place with a nice long beach, camp store, picnic tables, etc. Hadn't been there before. Boats are
allowed to be brought right up on the beach, if desired, but the water is shallow for a ways out, so
anchoring is easy.

No problems with the boat. Put the battery in. launched it, and she fired right up. A 150 Yamaha is
a great engine for tubing! Son-in-law thought he could stay on. He lost.

Great time was had by all.

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:37:14 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
Took younger daughter, husband, and the grandkids out for a day of playing, tubing and eating on the
Potomac yesterday. Left Quantico and headed north to a place called Leesylvania State Park. Nice
place with a nice long beach, camp store, picnic tables, etc. Hadn't been there before. Boats are
allowed to be brought right up on the beach, if desired, but the water is shallow for a ways out, so
anchoring is easy.

No problems with the boat. Put the battery in. launched it, and she fired right up. A 150 Yamaha is
a great engine for tubing! Son-in-law thought he could stay on. He lost.

Great time was had by all.

Speaking of Yamahas, were took a little vacation a couple of weeks ago to Playa Mujeres just outside of Cancun. We did the snorkeling trip to Isle Mujeres, and while there waiting for the boat to take us back to the resort, we had a beer and some guacamole at a ocean front restaraunt at the docks. As I sat there looking out at all the boats, I noticed there were two kinds different outboards in view... old two strokes, and new Yamahas. Yamaha seems to have captured the outboard market. It's the same story everywhere I go.

If you're looking for an all adult, all inclusive place to relax for a while, I can recommend the Excellence Resort at Playa Mujeres. We've been there twice, and it's a really nice place. We stayed in the Excellence Club Two-Story Rooftop Terrace suite... nice!

http://www.excellence-resorts.com/gu...-playa-mujeres
bob bob is offline

On Tue, 29 May 2012 07:37:14 -0400, John H.
wrote:

Took younger daughter, husband, and the grandkids out for a day of playing, tubing and eating on the
Potomac yesterday. Left Quantico and headed north to a place called Leesylvania State Park. Nice
place with a nice long beach, camp store, picnic tables, etc. Hadn't been there before. Boats are
allowed to be brought right up on the beach, if desired, but the water is shallow for a ways out, so
anchoring is easy.

No problems with the boat. Put the battery in. launched it, and she fired right up. A 150 Yamaha is
a great engine for tubing! Son-in-law thought he could stay on. He lost.

Great time was had by all.

nice! glad you guys had a good time

"John H." wrote in message

Took younger daughter, husband, and the grandkids out for a day of playing,
tubing and eating on the
Potomac yesterday. Left Quantico and headed north to a place called
Leesylvania State Park. Nice
place with a nice long beach, camp store, picnic tables, etc. Hadn't been
there before. Boats are
allowed to be brought right up on the beach, if desired, but the water is
shallow for a ways out, so
anchoring is easy.

No problems with the boat. Put the battery in. launched it, and she fired
right up. A 150 Yamaha is
a great engine for tubing! Son-in-law thought he could stay on. He lost.

Great time was had by all.

Two problems here. First the wind has been blowing for days. Big winds.
Ocean is tore up. 2nd, since we are retired, do not have to go out on
weekends and holidays with crowds of boaters.

On Tue, 29 May 2012 16:05:49 -0700, "Califbill" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

The second part is true for me also, but the grandkids are still in school until 20 June, or so.
That limits playing with the kids to the weekends. Once vacation starts, the boat won't see the
water on weekends (unless wife says, "Let's go boating!")

"John H." wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 May 2012 16:05:49 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

---------------------
My oldest grandkid just turned 4, but the parents work. :) Which is good
these days.

On Wed, 30 May 2012 10:01:04 -0700, "Califbill" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 May 2012 16:05:49 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
. ..

[...]

My oldest is almost 13, just got a girlfriend, and has other things on his mind besides boating.
But, that's OK. The youngest is three, and gets a bang out of tubing in the Potomac.

On 5/30/2012 4:42 PM, John H. wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 10:01:04 -0700, wrote:

news
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message

[...]

My youngest is just 18 and gets a kick out of killing it in the gym

On Wed, 30 May 2012 10:01:04 -0700, "Califbill" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 May 2012 16:05:49 -0700, "Califbill"
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
. ..

[...]

It's nice that the Potomac has cleaned up from what it was many years ago. Of course the water isn't
drinkable, but it's clean enough for the Nation’s Triathlon - which it wouldn't have been thirty
years ago.

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/09/13/n...-record-crowd/

On 5/30/12 5:48 PM, John H. wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 10:01:04 -0700, wrote:

news
wrote:

"John H." wrote in message

[...]

Not only isn't it drinkable, the water in the Potomac is hazardous to
your health.

http://wamu.org/news/11/05/04/potoma..._in_health.php

If you are swimming in the Potomac, you are drinking the Potomac.