Calif Bill

Default OT--So many great headlines I can't decide which one to post

"Mark Browne" wrote in message

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Mark Browne" wrote in message
. net...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
snip

Your reply shows how much out of touch with reality you are.

Explain
how
we
are to compete in the world market, given our labor costs.

Tell me again how much we are supposed to make to be competitive with
$2.00/hour labor?

We simply are not going to be able to reduce wages enough to be

competitive
with the third world. Now that the Pandora's box of free-trade is

open,
our
standard of living will be under fire until the standard of living in

the
USA is equal to the standards of living in the poorest country in the

world.

There's your pessimism shining through again, Mark.

Why not rewrite that to say "Now that we have free-trade, the standards

of
living in the poorest countries will continue to rise until the standard

of
living in those countries is closer to the standard of living in the

USA"?

You say "Yeah, right". Well...it happened in Japan.

Hmmm, you seem to be comparing apples and oranges. Japan was a relatively
small country in relation to the United States, and the degree of trade
imbalance was small in relation to the United States GDP. The population

in
China, just to take one trading partner for example, dwarfs the USA. When
you add up India, China, most of Asia, Mexico, and Canada, you are turning
the equation completely around. We can bleed the USA dry and not bring the
rest of the world up the current USA standard of living. On the other

hand,
as skilled jobs leave the country we can see a collapse of the middle

class
resulting in a transformation of the USA into a country resembling Mexico.

The only hope in my mind is to use tools like the IMF and WTO to rapidly
build up the economies of other countries, instead of bleeding them dry.

Mark Browne

Japan had a couple of things working for it. Number one, we rebuilt all
their industries. Modern steel mils, etc. Our mills stayed with the older
Bessemer and could not compete. Plus they were a very homogenous, great
work ethic society. Plus we prevented them from having an army and that
saved at least 6% of their GNP. Lots of growth from that alone. As Mark
says, the rest of the world is too big for us to prop up alone. Europe is
near bankrupt. Their social security system is consuming way to much money
to keep going.
Bill

basskisser

"Calif Bill" wrote in message news:AFplb.719

Europe is
near bankrupt. Their social security system is consuming way to much money
to keep going.
Bill

That HAS to be the most ignorant statement I've seen you write in a long time!!
Calif Bill

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Calif Bill" wrote in message

Europe is
near bankrupt. Their social security system is consuming way to much

money
to keep going.
Bill

That HAS to be the most ignorant statement I've seen you write in a long

time!!

You better study some European economics! France is trying to address the
problem now and the public unions are striking. One of the reasons that the
Metro in Paris is out of business so much lately. They want to extend the
amount of time required before retirement by another couple of years. The
retirement and health costs are becoming all consuming.

A great summer of crusing or Let's Ban Power Boats! jchaplain General 33 November 12th 03 12:07 AM
Great weekend Paul General 3 September 16th 03 08:30 PM
Tales from The Great Dismal Swamp Jeff Bateman General 0 September 14th 03 09:04 AM
Just How Safe Do You Feel? Doug Kanter General 34 July 13th 03 06:14 PM