BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT--So many great headlines I can't decide which one to post (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1508-ot-so-many-great-headlines-i-cant-decide-one-post.html)

jps October 12th 03 02:57 AM

OT--So many great headlines I can't decide which one to post

"NOYB" wrote in message

You think you're the only farmer with eyes? I can see things too

Gene...and
they're quite the opposite of what you see.

Selling more bridges doc? (please note the double entendre)

NOYB October 12th 03 03:17 AM

"jps" wrote in message
"NOYB" wrote in message

You think you're the only farmer with eyes? I can see things too

Gene...and
they're quite the opposite of what you see.

Selling more bridges doc? (please note the double entendre)

Mostly veneers and implants. Bridges are so passe.

jps October 12th 03 03:27 AM

"NOYB" wrote in message

Mostly veneers and implants. Bridges are so passe.

I have to have one of my bottom molars pulled. It's a no hope situation. I
was thinking a post in the jawbone would be far more preferable and
permanent as compared to a bridge.

Thoughts?

Calif Bill October 12th 03 06:05 AM

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:56:31 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
.. .

Tell you what. I'll tell *you* when the economy gets better.

WTF do you think *you* are? I thought any fool could see the economy is
improving...but obviously I found one fool (you) that can't.

WTF am I ? Weeelllll please let me explain.....

I'm the guy working with people THAT DON'T HAVE MEDICAL INSURANCE (or
a job) to pay people like you so that you can live the good life....
with a big boat and "let them eat cake" attitude.

These people, if able, are more intent on holding onto their houses,
automobiles, and property. The fine things are gone... the boats,
sports cars, and the wife's jewelry.... the goodies eventually ended
up in China.... with the Chinese communist government, I guess... but
that is the sign of a strong US economy, right?

WTF am I? I'm the one with his head out of his rectum far enough to
see that not everybody is living the good life in this wonderful
economy.... nor has any reason to believe that things will improve in
the foreseeable future...

Just because you are doing well doesn't mean that the US or the
economy is.... it just says a lot about your self-centered world.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

My mutual fund is up 18% in the last year. Nice for me. But to think we
are going to go back to the really big times of the 90's is not ever going
to happen. The manufacturing base has been leaving this country of 24
years. Nearly a quarter century. Service is now following. India
graduates about 750,000 people a year from their universities. Companies
such as MicroSoft can get a university educated, english speaking person to
handle their help line for 50-80% less than a USA call center. Same for
manufacturing. In about 1993, fully bundled labor cost in Penang, Malaysia
was about $3.50 / hour. When a company can cut costs by 50-80% they go for
it. Sure we are cutting our own throats in regards to the future, but most
of us want it now. Unions are only getting jobs in deeply entrenched
industries i.e. automotive or in the government financed or employment
sector. The unions paid lots of money to the politicians of Calif, so
instead of upgrading the San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge, they are
constructing a new suspension section at the highest wages possible. The
prevailing wage law in not prevailing in industry, but what ever the union
has negotiated at the highest point. Good for Harry and some workers, but
the rest of us paying the freight are getting screwed and the same concept
is moving the jobs offshore. Our only hope is that the rest of the 3rd
world moves up closer to our standard of living and costs. Regards cost.
We have inflated our costs over the last 25 years at a huge rate. Much
higher than the world as a whole. So you think we can still be top dog in
manufacturing and service when the rest of the world inflated maybe 100% and
we inflated 6-800%? And it is not a few Larry Ellison's that have sucked up
all the money. It is $80k / year carpenter, and 100k engineers. When an
H-1 visa engineer that is just as capable as a USA born engineer will work
for $60k, you think we can compete in the world market?

jps October 12th 03 08:36 AM

OT--So many great headlines I can't decide which one to post

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

When an H-1 visa engineer that is just as capable as a USA born
engineer will work for $60k, you think we can compete in the
world market?

If we had our **** together and did a decent job of educating our kids, we
could be pumping out labor ready technical folks who'd be damned pleased to
make $40 to $60K a year. We haven't made the investment in our own
educational infrastructure, India obviously has.

It's just another example of how we've ceded our competitive edge to
others -- in an industry we invented.

Stupid.

Harry Krause October 12th 03 11:29 AM

Calif Bill wrote:

My mutual fund is up 18% in the last year. Nice for me.

So you've fully recovered from Bush's recession, eh?

The unions paid lots of money to the politicians of Calif, so
instead of upgrading the San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge, they are
constructing a new suspension section at the highest wages possible.

The hourly rates would have been the same for an "upgrade."

The
prevailing wage law in not prevailing in industry, but what ever the union
has negotiated at the highest point.

You need a better source of information than your weekly "Right to Work
for Less" newsletter, Bill.

And it is not a few Larry Ellison's that have sucked up
all the money. It is $80k / year carpenter, and 100k engineers. When an
H-1 visa engineer that is just as capable as a USA born engineer will work
for $60k, you think we can compete in the world market?

You be sure to let us know when housing, autos, durables and other
needed goods have a 40% drop in price.

Multi-national corporations are robbing us blind. Their costs are way
down, their prices go up and their profits are astronomical; they simply
play games with their accounting and conceal the profits.

Explain to us why a man's dress shirt, which used to cost $20 when
produced in this country by a unionized workforce making $7.00 a hour
now costs $60 when produced by an exploited workforce in China making 10
cents an hour.

Email sent to will never reach me.

Calif Bill October 12th 03 06:21 PM

OT--So many great headlines I can't decide which one to post

"jps" wrote in message
"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

When an H-1 visa engineer that is just as capable as a USA born
engineer will work for $60k, you think we can compete in the
world market?

If we had our **** together and did a decent job of educating our kids, we
could be pumping out labor ready technical folks who'd be damned pleased

make $40 to $60K a year. We haven't made the investment in our own
educational infrastructure, India obviously has.

It's just another example of how we've ceded our competitive edge to
others -- in an industry we invented.

Stupid.

You call me stupid? Read your statement and then go look in the mirror. We
seem to have non labor ready carpenters that require 80k a year,
longshoreman that require 100k+ and you think a college educated, labor
ready person will want to work for 40-60K?

Calif Bill October 12th 03 06:24 PM

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:

My mutual fund is up 18% in the last year. Nice for me.

So you've fully recovered from Bush's recession, eh?

The unions paid lots of money to the politicians of Calif, so
instead of upgrading the San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge, they are
constructing a new suspension section at the highest wages possible.

The hourly rates would have been the same for an "upgrade."

But the total cost would have been about 70% less.

The
prevailing wage law in not prevailing in industry, but what ever the

union
has negotiated at the highest point.

You need a better source of information than your weekly "Right to Work
for Less" newsletter, Bill.

And it is not a few Larry Ellison's that have sucked up
all the money. It is $80k / year carpenter, and 100k engineers. When

an
H-1 visa engineer that is just as capable as a USA born engineer will

work
for $60k, you think we can compete in the world market?

You be sure to let us know when housing, autos, durables and other
needed goods have a 40% drop in price.

When the companies and unions wake up to the fact people are buying a better
product from overseas for the same money.

Multi-national corporations are robbing us blind. Their costs are way
down, their prices go up and their profits are astronomical; they simply
play games with their accounting and conceal the profits.

Explain to us why a man's dress shirt, which used to cost $20 when
produced in this country by a unionized workforce making $7.00 a hour
now costs $60 when produced by an exploited workforce in China making 10
cents an hour.

Maybe you should be making dress shirts. Get your union members to start up
a co-op and sell the shirt for $50. And most of those dress shirts are
coming from xmarts and cost $12.

jps October 12th 03 09:24 PM

OT--So many great headlines I can't decide which one to post

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

Stupid.

You call me stupid? Read your statement and then go look in the mirror.

We
seem to have non labor ready carpenters that require 80k a year,
longshoreman that require 100k+ and you think a college educated, labor
ready person will want to work for 40-60K?

I was calling us Americans stupid. How the **** could you even possibly
interpret that statement as calling you stupid. My entire post was additive
and sympathetic to your own.

The only reason those folks are earning that labor rate is that it's
prenegotiated. I'm certain there's plenty of kids coming out of school and
be pleased to make $40K to start and $60 in high tech within the first three
to five years. I'm in the business and have direct experience.

Take a little chill and pay attention please.

jps October 12th 03 09:29 PM

OT--So many great headlines I can't decide which one to post

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:36:10 -0700, "jps" wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

When an H-1 visa engineer that is just as capable as a USA born
engineer will work for $60k, you think we can compete in the
world market?

If we had our **** together and did a decent job of educating our kids,

we
could be pumping out labor ready technical folks who'd be damned pleased

make $40 to $60K a year. We haven't made the investment in our own
educational infrastructure, India obviously has.

Throwing money at education isn't the fix... education's problems in
this country are societal in nature. There is no person in a school
saddled with more superfluous work and less control over *making*
education happen than a classroom teacher. Given the situation and
marching orders endured by most teachers... it is surprising that
students learn as much as they do. You want learning? Give the
teacher the tools to get the job done....

That's true but there's other perspectives to consider. In Seattle we have
severely run down buildings. Our kids are in portables that were installed
anywhere between the mid-1940s to the mid-sixties. A few are more modern.
White flight to the burbs made for a ****ed-on urban infrastructure. I'm
sure it's common across the country.

We may have made investments in education, I don't think we've made the
right ones and enough of them.

Teaching to tests is foolish. Shoving reading skills at kids before they're
ready is stupid. This new accountability is right wing buffoonery. Let's
find a way to make parents more responsible for their kids performance in
schools. That'd make the biggest difference of all.