Tim Tim is offline

Default OT- Kindlefire. What's it's advantages?

I know nothing about them, but my wife want's one [and I get to pay
for it]. What are the advantages [or not] over a Xume, iPhone, and a
host of other lightning technology talkie gadgets out there?

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:26:25 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

I know nothing about them, but my wife want's one [and I get to pay
for it]. What are the advantages [or not] over a Xume, iPhone, and a
host of other lightning technology talkie gadgets out there?

What a silly question.

If your wife says she wants one, then they're obviously better than anything else.

Now, just find a good deal on one and go for it.

Here...I learned a lot...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/a...e-fire-review/

Now, get out the $199 and buy one from Amazon.

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 19:15:44 -0500, Happy JH
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:26:25 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

I know nothing about them, but my wife want's one [and I get to pay
for it]. What are the advantages [or not] over a Xume, iPhone, and a
host of other lightning technology talkie gadgets out there?

What a silly question.

If your wife says she wants one, then they're obviously better than anything else.

Now, just find a good deal on one and go for it.

Here...I learned a lot...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/a...e-fire-review/

Now, get out the $199 and buy one from Amazon.

========

It turns out that there is also an interesting alternative for just a
bit more money:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005B9G79I/ref=asc_df_B005B9G79I1841434

It has a better screen, a built in GPS, and full access to all of the
Android apps. There are some great navigation apps available like
Navionics which comes with charts.

Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

[...]

oooooh! Now I'm thinking.......

?;^ )

On 12/31/11 12:43 AM, wrote:

wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:26:25 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

It is better to get a tablet that can read books than a book reader
that wants to be a tablet when it grows up.
Make sure it is expandable and runs a real OS. If you are not invested
in the apple culture, "I" anything may not be your best choice, unless
you are planning on moving.

If I were not buying an iPad, I'd be taking a serious look
at the Galazy:

http://tinyurl.com/7cmqhlf

The problem with virtually all the tablets is that they only have an
on-screen typing keypad. Most offer an option to attach a USB or
bluetooth keyboard, but then you are back to a sort of laptop computer.

If your typing needs are minimal, then a tablet makes some sense.

My little iPhone pretty much mimics the iPad...it's okay for
non-typing-intensive tasks and it handles a lot of them pretty well. But
it is no replacement for a laptop, and I don't think the iPad is,
either. Not yet. Also, it is a pain in the ass to access the file system
in most tablets, and that makes a number of "computer" facilities
cumbersome.
As a book reader, though, the tablets are an interesting alternative to
the printed page.

--
Hate women? Hate the idea of women having sex?

Vote Republican, and join in the GOP's unhinged attacks
on Planned Parenthood, the HPV vaccine,
and insurance coverage of contraception.

wrote:

[...]

Or just hold off for a year or two, save big and get more.

http://www.everbuying.com/Wholesale-...FQhbhwod0VOdlw

Industry is moving so fast it is hard to buy something new that isn't
obsolete and over priced.

If I have Apple stock, I would sell it.

--
No mater how liberally you try to ignore rationality and reality,
reality always wins in the end.

wrote:

[...]

In the US, it's spelled "Galaxy", Mr. Writer guy!

-HB

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:54:48 -0500, wrote:

If I were not buying an iPad, I'd be taking a serious look
at the Galazy:

http://tinyurl.com/7cmqhlf

My wife has one and she is happy with it.

===

Does it have a built in GPS?

wrote:

I know nothing about them, but my wife want's one [and I get to pay
for it]. What are the advantages [or not] over a Xume, iPhone, and a
host of other lightning technology talkie gadgets out there?

====

The Kindle is primarily designed for reading books although with a
little patience you can also browse the web and check EMAIL. The
Kindlefire has been upgraded to make it more like an iPad. Amazon has
sold a zillion of them and there are lots of online reviews.

I got one of the older Kindles for my wife a couple of years ago and
you can hardly pry it out of her hands. She reads it on the boat, in
the car, at the fitness center and at home. She's read over 100 books
on it this year alone.

wrote:

I know nothing about them, but my wife want's one [and I get to pay
for it]. What are the advantages [or not] over a Xume, iPhone, and a
host of other lightning technology talkie gadgets out there?

====

The Kindle is primarily designed for reading books although with a
little patience you can also browse the web and check EMAIL. The
Kindlefire has been upgraded to make it more like an iPad. Amazon has
sold a zillion of them and there are lots of online reviews.

I got one of the older Kindles for my wife a couple of years ago and
you can hardly pry it out of her hands. She reads it on the boat, in
the car, at the fitness center and at home. She's read over 100 books
on it this year alone.

We got our granddaughter one last Christmas. Her head has been buried in it constantly, and what she
wants for Christmas is gift cards from Amazon for more books. Unreal, but nice.