Default Great boat food

We're having smoked salmon with chipotle cream sauce tonight. Needed something good to go with the
fish. Settled on red beans and rice and collard greens. My wife won't have any of the collards,
which is fine with me. She does love the red beans and rice though.

Anyway, now that y'all are salivating, here's the recipe for the collards:

Collard Greens

Grocery store bag full of Collards
Large onion
4-5 cloves garlic
5 slices bacon
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 cup Balsamic vinegar
½ tsp red pepper flakes (or something hot) (Franks Red Hot works well also)

Wash and de-stem collards (don't worry about small stems).

Roll collard leaves and cut rolls about 1" wide. Boil about a cup of water in a pot and put all the
greens in the pot with the boiling water. Cover and let cook for about 12 minutes. Drain.

In the pot, fry the bacon after cutting into 1" pieces. Slice the onions and saute' them with the
bacon. Don't let get done, as it will cook in the collards.

Chop garlic, add to balsamic vinegar, sugar, and hot pepper. Put collards back in pot and add the
ingredients, onions, etc. Stir, being sure to get the bacon pieces and fat mixed in well. Cover and
simmer for about one hour. Add a little water if necessary.

Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 29, 4:49*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

Saved for future reference.....

On 11/29/11 7:56 PM, Tim wrote:
On Nov 29, 4:49 pm, John wrote:
[...]

Taste is subjective, which explains my "blech" at the idea of smothering
a nice piece of smoked salmon with a chipotle sauce, or serving it with
beans, rice and collards.

I like salmon, smoked or otherwise, and I like red beans and rice, but
together? And all the hot sauces and spices? Why mask the taste of good
food, especially a delicate food like salmon, with hot sauces?

On 11/30/2011 7:03 AM, X ` Man wrote:
On 11/29/11 7:56 PM, Tim wrote:
On Nov 29, 4:49 pm, John wrote:
[...]

Why? Because taste is subjective. You said it yourself. Must be that you
don't believe what you write.

--
1-20-13 The end of an error

In article ,
says...

[...]

That's blasphemy! Collards simply need to be boiled with a couple of ham
hocks, a little sugar and a pinch of baking soda, onion.

In article ,
says...

On 11/29/11 7:56 PM, Tim wrote:
On Nov 29, 4:49 pm, John wrote:
[...]

You just wanted to be negative as usual. I don't see where John said he
"smothered" his salmon. So you don't put any sauce on anything?

In article m,
says...

On 11/29/11 7:56 PM, Tim wrote:
On Nov 29, 4:49 pm, John wrote:
[...]

No one else does either. Well, except Suckling Don.

"John H" wrote in message

[...]

I like catching salmon. Lots. As to eating salmon, lots of better fish to
eat. I grew up living by San Francisco Bay and fished salmon from about 6
years old. My dad did a lot of work for the Berkeley fishing fleet as he
owned a machine shop. So we got invites and later we owned a 23' boat.
Problem is most of the fish was cooked the Mid-western way. Cut in to
steaks and fried in bacon grease. Still like to catch salmon, just give
most of it away to neighbors and friends. I do not know about Collard
Greens but if like chard with lots of oxalic acid in them. Cook for about 3
minutes in boiling water and then dump the water and then finish cooking.
Gets rid of the bitterness in Chard.

On 11/29/11 7:56 PM, Tim wrote:
On Nov 29, 4:49 pm, John wrote:
[...]

....and knows nothing of my chipotle cream sauce. Living a life of negativity must be miserable.

On 11/29/11 7:56 PM, Tim wrote:

I like salmon, smoked or otherwise, and I like red beans and rice, but
together? And all the hot sauces and spices? Why mask the taste of good
food, especially a delicate food like salmon, with hot sauces?

Why? Because taste is subjective. You said it yourself. Must be that you
don't believe what you write.

...and knows nothing of my chipotle cream sauce. Living a life of negativity must be miserable.

Blech to you, your chipotles, your cream sauce and your life. And, of
course, to your ruining smoked salmon.

--
http://flickr.com/gp/hakr/8272ug