Default Many companies pay less in US taxes than they do on overseas profits

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 17:59:10 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

I still have as clients
several corporations with whom I have been doing business for decades.

========

You have evil corporations as clients? Wow, that's just a bit of
hypocrisy don't you think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

We all know that prostitutes do it for money, but Harry Krause? The
shame of it all. Who can you trust these days?

I take it that Harry's little consulting business is a not for
profit.....

wrote:

I still have as clients
several corporations with whom I have been doing business for decades.

========

You have evil corporations as clients? Wow, that's just a bit of
hypocrisy don't you think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

We all know that prostitutes do it for money, but Harry Krause? The
shame of it all. Who can you trust these days?

I take it that Harry's little consulting business is a not for
profit.....

======

If so it is no doubt unintentional. Most people with out of state
corporations are trying to hide something, either taxable revenue or
assets.

I originally assumed revenue but it might be assets. That could
explain why the house is in his wife's name also.

In ,

wrote:

I still have as clients
several corporations with whom I have been doing business for decades.

========

You have evil corporations as clients? Wow, that's just a bit of
hypocrisy don't you think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

We all know that prostitutes do it for money, but Harry Krause? The
shame of it all. Who can you trust these days?

I take it that Harry's little consulting business is a not for
profit.....

======

If so it is no doubt unintentional. Most people with out of state
corporations are trying to hide something, either taxable revenue or
assets.

I originally assumed revenue but it might be assets. That could
explain why the house is in his wife's name also.

You obviously need an "I'm an Asshole Obsessed with Harry" membership
card. Maybe I'll send you one, Beardsley.

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 08:39:00 -0400, Drifter wrote:

On 11/4/2011 7:57 AM, X ` Man wrote:
On 11/4/11 7:51 AM, John H wrote:
On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 19:25:02 -0400, John wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 06:50:28 -0400, X `
wrote:

(CBS News)

Advocates for reducing U.S. corporate tax rates argue that lower
corporate rates charged in other countries impede American
competitiveness. Yet a new study finds that many of the nation's top
companies are already paying less in U.S. taxes on their pretax profits
than they do overseas.

In a study comprising more than half of the Fortune 500 list of the
largest U.S. corporations, a quarter of those examined paid little or
nothing in federal income taxes during the 2008-2010 period, despite
registering profits in all three years.

Of those 280 companies, 78 corporations had at least one year during
which their U.S. federal tax was zero or less, and many had more than
one year paying no tax, despite recording profits; many of these
companies also received tax rebates. In 2009 alone, 49 companies earned
combined profits of $78.6 billion, yet paid no taxes - and collected
tax
rebates totaling $10.8 billion.

The study also disputes claims that the U.S. charges excessive
corporate
tax rates compared to other countries: Two-thirds of the corporations
studied which earned significant foreign AND U.S. profits over the same
three-year period paid higher tax rates to foreign governments on their
foreign profits than they paid to the U.S. government on their domestic
profits.

The study, conducted by Citizens for Tax Justice and the Institute on
Taxation& Economic Policy and published Thursday, examined the tax
payments of 280 companies from the Fortune 500 - those that recorded
profits in 2008, 2009 and 2010. (Companies that registered a loss
for at
least one year were not included in the study.) These companies
reported
total pre-tax U.S. profits of $1.4 trillion, and many of the companies
examined did pay close to the official corporate tax rate of 35
percent.

But because of tax breaks and loopholes, many paid little or
nothing. In
the aggregate, these 280 companies actually paid about half the
official
corporate tax rate - 18.5 percent over the 2008-10 period, and slightly
less (17.3 percent) over the last two years.

In all, the tax breaks that reduced these companies' payments to the
Treasury Department cost the United States more than $200 billion over
three years.

"Corporate Taxpayers& Corporate Tax Dodgers 2008-10"

The analyses are based on financial data from SEC filings.

The variation in tax payments did not correspond with profits: In some
cases comparable companies with comparable U.S. pretax profits made
wildly different tax payments. General Dynamics, on 3-year profits of
$9.147 billion, paid an effective tax rate of 27 percent, while Boeing,
on profits of $9.735 billion, paid -1.8 percent tax.

According to the report:

A quarter of the companies (71) paid more than 30 percent (averaging
32.3%) in corporate taxes over the three years.

Another quarter (67) paid effective three-year tax rates of less
than 10
percent, with the average effective tax rate being zero. Thirty of
these
companies paid LESS than zero.

The following 30 profitable corporations paid no U.S. income tax from
2008-2010:

Company / 2008-10 Profits ($ millions) / 2008-10 Taxes ($ millions) /
Effective 2008-10 Rate
Pepco Holdings $ 882 / $ -508 / -57.6%
General Electric 10,460 / -4,737 / -45.3%
Paccar 365 / -112 / -30.5%
PG&E Corp. 4,855 / -1,027 / -21.2%
Computer Sciences 1,666 / -305 / -18.3%
NiSource 1,385 / -227 / -16.4%
CenterPoint Energy 1,931 / -284 / -14.7%
Tenet Healthcare 415 / -48 / -11.6%
Atmos Energy 897 / -104 / -11.6%
Integrys Energy Group 818 / -92 / -11.3%
American Electric Power 5,899 / -545 / -9.2%
Con-way 286 / -26 / -9.1%
Ryder System 627 / -46 / -7.3%
Baxter International 926 / -66 / -7.1%
Wisconsin Energy 1,725 / -85 / -4.9%
Duke Energy 5,475 / -216 / -3.9%
DuPont 2,124 / -72 / -3.4%
Consolidated Edison 4,263 / -127 / -3.0%
Verizon Communications 32,518 / -951 / -2.9%
Interpublic Group 571 / -15 / -2.6%
CMS Energy 1,292 / -29 / -2.2%
NextEra Energy 6,403 / -139 / -2.2%
Navistar International 896 / -18 / -2.0%
Boeing 9,735 / -178 / -1.8%
Wells Fargo 49,370 / -681 / -1.4%
El Paso 4,105 / -41 / -1.0%
Mattel 1,020 / -9 / -0.9%
Honeywell International 4,903 / -34 / -0.7%
DTE Energy 2,551 / -17 / -0.7%
Corning 1,977 / -4 / -0.2%
TOTAL: On $160.341 billion in profits, they paid $ -10.742 billion in
taxes, for an average effective tax rate of -6.7%.

In some cases corporations may realize tax benefits for past years
through rebates, or may win disputes with the IRS for previous tax
periods, thereby accruing tax benefits not recorded in earlier
financial
reports.

Of the companies receiving what the report terms "tax subsidies" - the
difference between what they would have paid for their profits at
the 35
percent rate and what they actually paid during the 2008-10 period -
the
largest subsidies went to Wells Fargo ($17.960 billion); AT&T ($14.491
billion); Verizon ($12.332 billion); General Electric ($8.398 billion);
IBM ($8.265 billion); ExxonMobil ($4.096 billion); Boeing ($3.585
billion); PNC Financial Services ($3.354 billion); Goldman Sachs
($3.178
billion); and Procter& Gamble ($3.158 billion).

More than half (56 percent) of tax subsidies were gained by four
industries: Financial; utilities; telecommunications; and oil, gas&
pipelines.

There is also a wide range of tax payments between industry sectors.

While retailers and health care paid an average effective tax rate
of 30
percent or more, oil, gas& pipeline companies averaged 15.7 percent.
Financial companies averaged 15.5 percent. Telecom companies averaged
8.2 percent. Gas and electric utilities paid an average effective tax
rate of 3.7 percent. The lowest average rate was paid by the industrial
machine sector, of -13.5 percent.

There was wide variance within each sector: For example, pharmaceutical
company Amgen paid 28 percent, while its competitor Baxter paid -7.1
percent. United Parcel Service paid 24.1 percent, while FedEx paid 0.9
percent.

Elements of the U.S. tax code that have allowed companies to defer or
reduce their tax burdens include accelerated depreciation of capital
investments; research and experimentation tax credits; non-cash
goodwill
impairments; stock options; tax breaks awarded to specific industries;
and offshore tax shelters.

The report's authors (Robert S. McIntyre and Rebecca J. Wilkins of
Citizens for Tax Justice, and Matthew Gardner and Richard Phillips for
The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy) write that lawmakers
should enact corporate tax reform, focusing on what are officially
known
as "corporate tax expenditures"; reinstate a strong corporate
Alternative Minimum Tax; revise how stock options are treated; adopt
restrictions on abusive tax sheltering; reform how multi-national
companies assign profits between foreign and domestic divisions; and
repeal the rule allowing U.S. corporations to "defer" their U.S. taxes
on their offshore profits, to end the incentive for shifting profits
overseas.

"Unfortunately," the report states, "corporate tax legislation now
being
promoted by many in Congress seems stuck on the idea that as a group,
corporations are now either paying the perfect amount in federal income
taxes or are paying too much. ... Meanwhile, GOP candidates for
president are all promoting huge cuts in the corporate tax or, in
several cases, even elimination of the corporate income tax entirely."

The report's authors call on elected officials to stop "kowtowing to
the
loophole lobbyists" and enact corporate tax reform that benefits the
majority of Americans.

And what, dear Harry, has 'Bama and his congress done about this
during the years after 'they won'?

Nothing, nada, zero, zilch. You must be proud of him!

Hypocritical bunch of liberals.

~~~~crickets~~~~

As I posted yesterday, Herring, I don't engage racists in polite
conversation.

That's OK. We don't engage assholes in conversation.......period. But it
sure is fun toying with them from time to time.

QED, again!

wrote:

[...]

More name-calling, Harry? Is that the best you can do?

wrote:

[...]

Singling out one guy for the honor? That's not fair. Why not put a copy
up on your photobucket so we can all download a copy.

--
1-20-13 The end of an error

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 21:24:10 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 13:29:15 -0400, Drifter wrote:

On 11/5/2011 12:19 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 14:53:59 -0400, wrote:

On 11/3/2011 1:53 PM, X ` Man wrote:
On 11/3/11 1:32 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 08:42:39 -0400, wrote:

I wonder why corporations leave the US tax haven and move to far off
places? Harry knows the answer but he won't admit it.

======

It's not that simple. A lot of Fortune 500 companies are
multi-nationals meaning that they do business internationally and
generate profits in different countries/currencies. If they
repatriate that money back to the US they get hit with double
taxation, first where they earned it, and again here when they bring
it back. A lot of them would like to bring profits back but not at
the cost of double taxation.

Beardsley's corporate apologetica continues.

Wayne made an intelligent assumption and you made a fool of yourself,
AGAIN. Way to go WAFA.

And we should adopt that ASSUMPTION as fact? Why?

I don't know. Should you? You tell me.

OK, I'll play. I'd never make an argument based on the "intelligent
assumption" of another person. Intelligent is subjective and
assumption is, well: arrogance; presumption, presumptuousness,
effrontery, forwardness, gall.

But, go ahead, stick it out there with subjective effrontery and see
if you don't get it sliced off....

=========

Not sure exactly what your point is but you don't have to take my word
for it:

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3441

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2011/11/04/Can-Corporate-Tax-Reform-Really-Be-Revenue-Neutral.aspx#page1

http://www.ctj.org/taxjusticedigest/archive/2011/06/chuck_schumers_amazing_double-.php

[...]