Default access...

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:47:13 -0400, Drifter wrote:

On 10/31/2011 6:47 PM, John H wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:36:40 -0400, wrote:

On 10/31/2011 4:27 PM, JustWaitAFrekinMinute! wrote:
On Oct 31, 1:12 pm, wrote:
On 10/31/2011 12:18 PM, iBoaterer wrote:

In raweb.com,
says...

On 10/31/2011 11:32 AM, X ` Man wrote:
On 10/31/11 11:30 AM, North Star wrote:
On Oct 31, 11:58 am, X ` Mandump-on-conservati...@anywhere-you-
can.com wrote:
On 10/31/11 10:52 AM, JustWait wrote:

Well, I suppose the trolls are having fun lately but I wouldn't know...
We have a hole in the roof with a limb sticking through. There is at
least 50 trees down and demolished within 150 yards of my house alone,
the whole state is similar. We drove 40 miles yesterday in search of
gasoline, no info available as the cell and cable are all down, very
sketchy internet. Main state highways haven't even begun to be
addressed
yet, it's like a maze just to go down route five with the lines down
and
trees still in the road. Unfortunately, the generator I have won't do
220 to run the water so we can't run the furnace either like I used to
be able to do in the other place. I have never rewired a deep well pump
and don't even know if ours can be done... getting pretty cold here,
the
governor thinks this will be at least a week or more. Shipping the
animals off today to a friend upstate who has power, trying to find a
cup of coffee is crazy. No banks, cash only everywhere.

Later guys...

Sorry to hear of your troubles, and hope they get resolved soon. Maybe
you can rent a portable genny and run lights, microwave, and a space
heater or two.- Hide quoted text -

Hopefuly now our fireplace will burn efficiently in such emergencies..
Just dropped way more cash than I had planned on for a complete
chimney teardown and rebuild including firebox and throat.
Improvements are... a deeper firebox. an improved throat that should
help the smoke rise easier and a 1.5 foot increase in total chimney
height.
It has to be 30 feet now. The wife is all excited about using it...
me... I just think of the boat that cash could have been put against..

Now, you have to buy firewood, too. Or chop it.

Not to mention the need to hire a chimney sweep, a fireplace insert or
wood stove if you expect to capture some of the heat before it goes up
the chimney, a maid to do the extra dusting and window washing, covered
wood storage, extra pest control measures. Maybe Don would be better
served by a gas fireplace or converting to gas or oil heating which
could be run from a small generator. Even a coal fired steam boiler
could do the trick.

A maid to clean? Have you not seen the pictures of his house???

Yes I have. Shame on him.

--
1-20-13 The end of an error

we have a generator, but unlike our last house, this water pump is set
up for 220 not 110 so the gen wont' run it, whcih means we can't run
the furnace. We are cooking and running ceramic heaters but no shower
etc....

Sorry to hear of your dilemma but I wonder why you need water pressure
to run your heating system?

He probably needs the 220, which he can't get from his gen set.

Could be but he did say water pump.

Yeah, but I think he meant to say, "...we can't run the furnace either."

That's what I think. Could well be wrong. Stuff gets lost (and added!) in the translations around
here all the time.

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 08:41:05 -0400, Drifter wrote:

can.com wrote:
[...]

hot water fired boiler, must be a bad valve, the pressure went down in
the baseboards...

OK There might be something you can do to get your heater going. You
will need to get AN AC or DC water pump capable of producing water
pressure of at least 40 lbs. You can use plain water to refill but You
might want to make your heating system freeze proof by using a non toxic
antifreeze mixture. Obviously you need to replace the check valve first
and make sure the feed shut off valve works. After you finish filling
and purging you might want to turn the feed shutoff valve off and
monitor pressure for a while to make sure you have no leaks. You want to
record the cold pressure and make sure it doesn't go below the minimum
required for your system.

See now. I think you must know a lot about this stuff.

How about coming up (or down as the case may be) and winterizing my trailer?

can.com wrote:
[...]

You need someone to drain your tanks?

--
1-20-13 The end of an error

can.com *wrote:
[...]

1-20-13 The end of an error- Hide quoted text -

.... and drain the 4 stroke oil from his gas tank... or was that 2
stroke oil from the engine sump? It sure gets confusing, eh Johnny?

can.com wrote:
[...]

We could run the furnace but for some reason, the heating system didn't
hold it's pressure when the power went out... We need to run the water
pump to pump up the house pressure before turning on the furnace which
will run fine with 110 on the generator we have.

Today I found 200 feet of hose and hooked temporarily to a neighbor who
was running on a generator and had water. I piped right in by the pump
inlet so we were able to fill the system, a bunch of buckets and take
one quick shower before he turned back off. I went out and stood in line
with his gas cans in return and bought him 2.5 gallons of fuel on my for
the favor.

We still have a drip or something somewhere though as the pressure comes
down over time... I think I have it seperated out from the house system
though so the heat system holds it's charge now.

Home Depot keeps getting gen set deliveries but you have to wait all day
in line and they don't know when they are coming in, how many, and what
will be on the truck. You get a ticket in line and go right to shipping.
Interesting today. About a half dozen of those who walked in at the
right time to get in line didn't even have the money. They got their
generators on the cart and started calling forlks to borrow it, the
manager said they could stand there till closing if they wanted. We went
back a few hours later and they were all gone so I guess they got the
cash somehow.

I might go there at 6 am and wait a few hours. They have been selling
5000 watt Husky pull starts for $599. Any of you who have steady
internet have any better reccomendations, I think we can actyally make
it till the end of the situation with the nice neighbor and the setup we
have now if we have to wait for the right deal... We have about 7-800 to
spend if we have to... Thanks for any input.

Update you all tomorrow...

can.com wrote:
[...]

Hooked up to a neighbor who could run his well from the generator for a
while so I could pump up the system and run quick shower too... but it
is leaking back down on the house side somewhere still. I will have to
do it again tomorrow...

can.com wrote:
[...]

You need to replace the check valve in the boiler feed. You need to shut
the boiler feed water valve after filling the system and purging the
air. You will know you have the air out when you don't hear the water
gurgling through the system. Once the heating system is filled and
purged you should be able to run it regardless if you have water
pressure to the house. Apparently the check valves in your water system
aren't holding either. There's probably one at the top of your well and
one near the inlet to the house. Or you have a faucet drip or a leaky
pipe somewhere.

I have a Coleman model 6250 which makes 6250W peak and 5000W continuous.
It's big enough to keep *critical* systems running. If you can afford a
bigger one, go for it. Otherwise you should be able to manage with 5000w
Don't try to backfeed your generator into your house wiring unless you
*really* know how to do it and what precautions to take.
How are the roof repairs coming along?

--
1-20-13 The end of an error

can.com wrote:
[...]

More egg on Donny's face. Trailers don't have engines. Some of the
bigger ones have generators but they need to be exercised monthly so why
bother winterizing them.

As far as boats go, you know about as much as Harry does. And that ain't
much.

--
1-20-13 The end of an error

can.com wrote:
[...]

Well, we went hunting this morning after our first warm night in days.
We pulled into Home Depot to ask about truck schedules and a guy was
returning a generator unopened, but it was only a 3500 so we decided to
wait it out and get a bigger one when we could even if we had to wait
till after the emergency and do for now with what we had...

So we went over to Lowes and there we found a guy bringing back two but
they were more than we wanted to spend but we bought one anyway, a 5500
watt running, 7600 watt starting, Briggs and Stratton for $800, and
another 99 for the extended warantee...

Now the problem is finding a plug for 220, not one within a hundred
miles from what I can see and we even went to plumbing supply houses,
etc... But we got it now and by the time the winter rolls in we should
be all set and running... Next step is to install the wood stove we have
as a backup..

Still limited access to net, check back later...

can.com wrote:
[...]

Right now there is still snow up there and we have been in survival mode
so I just have a board nailed over it with some liquid nails for now...
It's only about 15 inches around, won't be a hard fix at all once the
snow comes off that side of the roof..

WiFi Access Rusty Electronics 11 July 29th 06 06:03 AM
Engine access [email protected] ASA 11 January 13th 06 12:48 AM
Internet access Bruce Riley Cruising 9 January 11th 05 01:16 AM
What's new on the SCA access site? Janet Moxley UK Paddle 0 March 23rd 04 02:18 PM
Dee Access negotiations Shared Rivers UK Paddle 0 February 27th 04 11:17 AM