Urban Sherpa

Default Where can I buy Spectra/Dyneema cloth?....

I'm looking for a few yards of the LW cloth. Looked everywhere on
the www and can't locate any.

Thanks,

Karl
Theodore F. Marz

Good luck.

Spectra cloth is in high demand right now... at least one of the
factories is working overtime to produce it.

Why? Because it is used extensively in the new model body armor that
the US military uses.

On 24 Jun 2004 22:10:11 -0700, (Urban Sherpa)
wrote:

I'm looking for a few yards of the LW cloth. Looked everywhere on
the www and can't locate any.

Thanks,

Karl

Urban Sherpa

yes...no dice
Bob P

pas wrote:
ant wrote:

(Urban Sherpa) wrote in message
e.com...

I'm looking for a few yards of the LW cloth. Looked everywhere on
the www and can't locate any.

Thanks,

Karl

i cant remember addresses anymore, but quest outfitters, rocky woods
fabrics, owfinc.com, seattle fabrics, and many others sell a wide
variety and if they dont have it, they might know who would.

I've been looking for Spectra cloth for layup for the 5+ years without
success. What is available (that I've found) does not have the surface
etching suitable for composites. Unlike others, I never had a
delamination problem with my parts either, but I used compression
molding for my paddles.

The density is so low that you could use it instead of a core material.
Gary S.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 02:02:00 GMT, Bob P
wrote:

I've been looking for Spectra cloth for layup for the 5+ years without
success. What is available (that I've found) does not have the surface
etching suitable for composites. Unlike others, I never had a
delamination problem with my parts either, but I used compression
molding for my paddles.

The density is so low that you could use it instead of a core material.

Spectra fiber is made by Allied-Signal, now a part of Honeywell. You
may be able to talk with them about a sample.

The commercial aps don't seem to use it much in a composite form, and
the only ones which do, mention a proprietary resin system.

Other documentation mentions that most glues will not stick to it.

Another common use of Spectra fabric is in high-end racing sails.
Again, you may be able to talk with a company and buy a small
quantity.

Other fabrics, such as Kevlar, have variations specialized for use in
composite layup.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Faring Polyester Cloth jcassara Boat Building 6 July 10th 04 10:14 PM
Cloth washing Haakon Dybdahl Cruising 14 December 13th 03 03:36 PM
timing of 3 coats of expoxy/cloth? RG Boat Building 7 November 29th 03 03:53 PM