G D Wright

Default Mohawk Intrepid 17 vs Mad River Revelation vs Old Town Tripper?

I need a tandem canoe with the capacity to carry large loads of
camping gear on shallow rocky rivers in southern Missouri and northern
Arkansas (I & II). Lake use will be rare to never, tho some local
rivers do have a few quiet holes of moderate length where the current
is very slow and I occasionally have to use the paddle for more than
just steering, but never for very long; flat water performance is of
little concern to me. I'm a conservative paddler who doesn't want to
have to dive to the bottom for my cameras or favorite cast iron
skillet, so we'll line or portage the scary stuff. No solo.

I've been using a home built cedar stripper, so I've learned to avoid
most of the rocks, the ones I can see, but I thought it might be more
fun to paddle something I don't have to be quite so careful with (no
glass; I'm considering plastic, only). I tried an Old Town Discovery
169 - I liked the price, and it paddled OK, but I took it back to the
dealer due to severe oil canning - really big bulge in the canoe
bottom. I can tolerate a little flex in a plastic boat, but this was
just too much. I might try another one when there are more in stock.

So, my major concerns a shallow draft, big load capacity, easy
handling on moving water, and, of course, I want it to last forever,
weigh 10 pounds or less and be free, if possible, but I'm flexible on
some of these requirements. I'm presently considering:

Mohawk Intrepid 17
Mad River Revelation
Old Town Tripper

Unfortunately, my local dealers don't stock either the MR Revelation
nor Tripper (special order only), and Mohawk is mail order only, so I
need advice from anyone who has actually compared any two of these
boats on moving water. By the time I add shipping, the Mohawk will be
only $100 less than the Old Town or Revelation, so for all practical
purposes my decision will be based on how well the hull design meets
my requirements.

Any suggestions?
G D Wright

Update from original poster:
Ooops! I just noticed the Mad River Revelation is no longer mentioned
on their website, so I guess it's been replaced by the Freedom 17; I'm
investigating whether it's the same exact hull design, or not.

Meanwhile, I'm adding the Mad River Explorer 16 TT to my list. I'd
really hoped to stay with a 17 ft or longer, but the price of the
polyethylene Explorer is very attractive, and it's design may be more
suited to my local needs than that of the more whitewater oriented
Freedom 17.

Who has paddled an Explorer 16 TT (poly, not Royalex) on moving water?

-GW

(G D Wright) wrote in message om...
[...]

Michael Hearn Anna Houpt

My vote is for Mad River. Their 16' explorer is likely the best ALL- Around
boat around. It had a tremendous carry capacity, is stable, durable, and
turns well enough to have been the first open canoe down the Grand Canyon..
thanks to Jim Shelander around 1979?