vinnie

Default Rogue River in Oregon

Is the Rogue the best river in Oregon to raft?

--
Vinnie
All outgoing email is scanned by E-Trust

peteg

Vinnie,

The Rogue is certainly one of the most popular rivers in Oregon to raft.
Along with the Deschutes it is also one of the rivers in Oregon known
nationally. Whether it is the "best" river depends on what you are looking
for. If you are looking for a wilderness trip with great camping and some
intermediate whitewater sprinkled throughout the trip then, yes, it is the
best in Oregon. The minimum length of trip on the Rogue is 2 days and most
commercial outfitters run 3-5 day trips. If you are looking for a one day
trip with the emphasis on whitewater then there are a number of better
choices. The N. Umpqua, Deschutes, Clackamas, and White Salmon are all good
summer rivers with fun rapids. The best choice among these rivers depends on
where you are planning to stay when you are in Oregon.

Feel free to email any other questions about Oregon rafting. I've run pretty
much everything in the state.

cheers, pete

"vinnie" wrote in message
Is the Rogue the best river in Oregon to raft?

--
Vinnie
All outgoing email is scanned by E-Trust

riverman

"peteg" wrote in message
[...]

Technically, isn't the White Salmon in Washington? evil grin

--riverman

peteg

Yea, but we annexed that part of Washington. Didn't you hear?

pete

"riverman" wrote in message

Technically, isn't the White Salmon in Washington? evil grin

--riverman

Randy Hodges

"vinnie" wrote in message
Is the Rogue the best river in Oregon to raft?

There are many good reasons why the Rogue was designated as one of the
original "Wild and Scenic" rivers. The section between Graves Creek
and Foster Bar has it all; wildlife, moderate rapids, scenery, great
side hikes (to history and to scenery), water slides, fishing, great
clean clear relatively warm water, waterfalls...

We will be doing it for the fourth time in June this year. It is
boatable all year as well. The only down side (in my opinion) is that
it is a bit crowded in summer. They allow 160 people (commercial and
private combined) on the river each day. There can be some contention
for the best camping spots. The other negative is that they allow jet
boats on the lower 12 miles or so.

You might also want to consider the John Day (wilder, easier, longer,
desert) which we also enjoy as an early spring family trip. It is too
late for the Owyhee but it is also a fun and remote trip.

Randy

Te Canaille

"Randy Hodges" wrote in message om...
The only down side (in my opinion) is that
it is a bit crowded in summer. They allow 160 people (commercial and
private combined) on the river each day. There can be some contention
for the best camping spots. The other negative is that they allow jet
boats on the lower 12 miles or so.

Randy

Hi Randy :

Are jet boats ( or skis ? ) allowed on the "wild and scenic" sections ? If so, I'd be appalled as the intent of the Nat. Wild &
Scenic Rivers Act is to preserve rivers in their natural state. Now I understand that even paddling has some impact, but jet boats
are in a whole other category and IMO have such a negative impact as to defeat the purposes of the Act.

Te Canaille

Randy Hodges

"Te Canaille" wrote in message news:RBrtc.9$

Are jet boats ( or skis ? ) allowed on the "wild and scenic" sections ?

It is actually pretty confusing. There are "Wild", "Scenic", "Wild
and Scenic" and "Recreational" Sections. I am not at all sure which
is which. I do know that the permitted section (Between Graves Creek
and Foster Bar) allows jet boats (not skiis - AFAIK) only below
Blossom Bar. I believe that the justification is that these were
"grandfathered" in.

We spend only one day below Blossom on a 5 day trip so it really isn't
too much of a problem. I'd guess that we would typically see/hear 5 -
10 boats during that day.

Randy