naptrel

Default Fraser River and its canyons

Can anyone recommend any sources of information for canoeing the
Fraser River in BC, Canada between Prince George (well, the
northernmost bend of the river) and Vancouver?

The best/only source I have found so far is "British Columbia Canoe
Routes" written and compiled by Canoe Sport British Columbia in the
mid '70s which gives a fairly detailed account of the complete length
of the river, but I'm looking for a second (and preferably a third,
fourth etc) opinion.

One section in particular concerns me---the 40km stretch upstream from
Lillooet that includes Moran and Fountain Canyons is described in this
guide as being "not suitable for canoes at any time on account of the
number of powerful rapids in Moran (sometimes called Pavillion)
Canyon." Can anyone recommend a portage route around this 40km
stretch, or can anyone put me onto someone who might be able to help?
Bill Tuthill

naptrel wrote:

One section in particular concerns me---the 40km stretch upstream from
Lillooet that includes Moran and Fountain Canyons is described in this
guide as being "not suitable for canoes at any time on account of the
number of powerful rapids in Moran (sometimes called Pavillion)
Canyon." Can anyone recommend a portage route around this 40km
stretch, or can anyone put me onto someone who might be able to help?

Perhaps you could get a commercial outfitter to take your canoe aboard
a motorized J-rig in this section. Here's what "World Whitewater" by
Dunlap and Cassady says: "Upstream on the Fraser between Big Bar Ferry and
Lillooet is Moran Canyon, a big-volume class 3 section. Watch out for a
constantly surging rapid of immense proportion called Bridge Rapid, formed
from a ledge just above the confluence of the Bridge River on the right."

Why are you not concerned about Hell's Gate, which is rated class 4+ in
the aforementioned guidebook? Do you already have a portage strategy?

naptrel

Bill Tuthill wrote
Why are you not concerned about Hell's Gate, which is rated class 4+ in
the aforementioned guidebook? Do you already have a portage strategy?

Our Hell's Gate strategy (lifted straight from British Columbia Canoe
Routes):
"The ramp-like construction of the ladders on the left (east) side
provides easy access to the bridge level and to the CNR grade." Then
"Hell's Gate: portage along the CN grade (east side) for about 1/4
mile to an obvious steep slope that can be descended to the river."

At this stage of researching, just knowing an obstacle can be
tackled/avoided is enough, but I can't (yet) find any strategy
recommendations for the Moran Canyon section above Lillooet. Looks
like a long walk may be needed, but does anyone know the best way? I
like the J-Rig idea---never thought it might be feasible to load a
canoe on a raft! In terms of running the river under one's own steam,
it's a bit of a moral grey area, but very tempting nonetheless...
naptrel