naptrel

Default Fraser River and its canyons

Bill Tuthill wrote
Why are you not concerned about Hell's Gate, which is rated class 4+ in
the aforementioned guidebook? Do you already have a portage strategy?

Our Hell's Gate strategy (lifted straight from British Columbia Canoe
Routes):
"The ramp-like construction of the ladders on the left (east) side
provides easy access to the bridge level and to the CNR grade." Then
"Hell's Gate: portage along the CN grade (east side) for about 1/4
mile to an obvious steep slope that can be descended to the river."

At this stage of researching, just knowing an obstacle can be
tackled/avoided is enough, but I can't (yet) find any strategy
recommendations for the Moran Canyon section above Lillooet. Looks
like a long walk may be needed, but does anyone know the best way? I
like the J-Rig idea---never thought it might be feasible to load a
canoe on a raft! In terms of running the river under one's own steam,
it's a bit of a moral grey area, but very tempting nonetheless...
naptrel