Junior Member

Cool Have a Volvo out drive with a mind of its own

I have an 8 cyl. volvo that has an out drive that raises itself without me touching anything. Getting it back down is a problem, sometimes it allows me to use the trim switch, other times I get no response from the trim switch. Any ideas.
Tim Tim is offline

Default Have a Volvo out drive with a mind of its own

--
Mike Con

Mike, I know nothing about the Volvo's but it sounds like you have
either a defective valve body in the pump, but I'm not sure putting
stock in that, or you have some current leaking into the electrical
solenoid that activates the pump into the "up" position....like a
defective relay etc. Maybe even the switch itself.

When it acts up, does it seem to raise quickly by itself, or just take
an occasional notion?

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 20:24:02 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

On Jul 21, 3:02*pm, Mike Con wrote:
I have an 8 cyl. volvo that has an out drive that raises itself without
me touching anything. Getting it back down is a problem, sometimes it
allows me to use the trim switch, other times I get no response from the
trim switch. Any ideas.

--
Mike Con

Mike, I know nothing about the Volvo's but it sounds like you have
either a defective valve body in the pump, but I'm not sure putting
stock in that, or you have some current leaking into the electrical
solenoid that activates the pump into the "up" position....like a
defective relay etc. Maybe even the switch itself.

When it acts up, does it seem to raise quickly by itself, or just take
an occasional notion?

I agree. Something is making the pump operate the hydraulics, and that something is probably
electricity. How the electricity is getting to the pump without your knowledge seems to be the
question. You've indicated the trim switch 'sometimes works', which implies it often doesn't work.

I'd be looking into that trim switch!

HELP: Zinc problem Volvo Sail Drive claus Cruising 13 September 1st 06 04:49 AM
Volvo Penta Stern Drive DavidK Boat Building 2 March 28th 06 05:53 AM
Volvo Penta Stern Drive DavidK General 0 March 28th 06 03:15 AM
Fascinating new drive system from Volvo FishWisher General 40 December 16th 04 05:13 PM
Volvo Out Drive Problem (tilt/trim) Derek Nigh General 1 July 23rd 04 04:57 AM