posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Foggy New England

Cruising the New England coast in the sumertime has a lot of
attractions: Good harbors, quaint little towns with much charm, fresh
sea food restaurants, decent fishing at times, fresh lobster, etc.

It also has something called fog. When the fog rolls in like a thick
heavy blanket everything changes in a minute. A crisp clear day with
blue sunny skies is almost instantly transformed into a cool white
cloud which surrounds everything, sometimes even obscuring boats that
are anchored nearby. It takes some getting used to, especially if you
are caught underway. Suddenly your entire frame of reference is
erased - landmarks, navigational buoys, channel marks, nearby boats
- everything. It can be very unsettling if you've never experienced
it before or are unprepared.

Radar, if you have it, suddenly becomes your best friend. It can
help to restore some sense of orientation and alert you to nearby
hazzards. It can also give you distances and bearings. In
conjunction with a good chart plotter, your radar and sense of hearing
tell you almost everthing you need to know. The loud horn that you
hear in the distance can be identified as either a fixed navigation
mark or a boat underway. If a boat underway, you can tell if the
relative bearing angle from your bow is increasing, decreasing, or
staying the same. If the bearing is constant you are on a collision
course with what ever is out there. It's time to go into high gear,
sound the fog horn, listen for a reply, attempt contact on VHF radio,
and remember all of those lessons on the Rules of the Road. It can be
nerve wracking but also challenging and exciting with all of your
senses racing along as you sort out the situation and determine a
course of action.

The good news is that there are only two locations in New England that
experience foggy weather. The first is north of Cape Cod and the
second is south of Cape Cod. We're south today in Edgartown Harbor
on the island of Martha's Vineyard. Our boat is securely tied to one
of the town moorings so navigation is not an issue as the fog comes
and goes, and the town disappears and reappears. It's all part of
the cruising New England experience.

On 7/21/11 2:02 PM, Wayne B wrote:
Cruising the New England coast in the sumertime has a lot of
attractions: Good harbors, quaint little towns with much charm, fresh
sea food restaurants, decent fishing at times, fresh lobster, etc.

It also has something called fog.

The good news is that there are only two locations in New England that
experience foggy weather. The first is north of Cape Cod and the
second is south of Cape Cod.

I haven't been on the Cape in a while but...unless global warming has
pushed the continents around some, I don't recall that much of New
England, with the exception maybe of Nantucket, was south of the Cape. :)

But I did enjoy your report.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

In article , naled24511
@mypacks.net says...

On 7/21/11 2:02 PM, Wayne B wrote:
Cruising the New England coast in the sumertime has a lot of
attractions: Good harbors, quaint little towns with much charm, fresh
sea food restaurants, decent fishing at times, fresh lobster, etc.

It also has something called fog.

The good news is that there are only two locations in New England that
experience foggy weather. The first is north of Cape Cod and the
second is south of Cape Cod.

I haven't been on the Cape in a while but...unless global warming has
pushed the continents around some, I don't recall that much of New
England, with the exception maybe of Nantucket, was south of the Cape. :)

But I did enjoy your report.

You damned spoofer! I've worked for years treating Wayne like ****
because he has a much better life than I. Now here you are sucking up to
him and acting like you are me.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:02:10 -0400, Wayne B wrote:

[...]

Sounds to me like you need to anchor *at* Cape Cod and stay there!

On Jul 21, 3:02*pm, Wayne B wrote:
[...]

Welcome to our world in the Maritimes.
August isn't usually as bad as June/July.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 12:28:42 -0700 (PDT), North Star
wrote:

On Jul 21, 3:02*pm, Wayne B wrote:
[...]

Yes, been there, done that. But you only get fog at two different
times of the summer: Before the first day of August and after the
last day of July.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

In article ,
says...

[...]

Very nice.. never did get out there but it sounds like a great day to
spend a hot day.

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

wrote:

[...]

We were poking around in the mangroves in Estero Bay when the sea fog
rolled in. My wife loved it. Fortunately I had a good idea of where we
were and with my compass, looking at the mangroves and using my aerial
photos, we poked around out there for an hour or two. By the time we
got back to the river the fog lifted. The only time I was worried was
when we were near the channel. I figured there would be some bozo,
just trusting his GPS and coming in way too fast.

Reply:
Hell, I live near San Francisco Bay. Fog in the summer is a given. I grew
up in the Berkeley area, and moved to the other side of the hill, to get out
of cold summers. In the Sacramento River Delta, always a fool, going fast
in the fog. Amazing more are not killed.

wrote:
On Jul 21, 3:02*pm, Wayne B wrote:
[...]

last day of July.- Hide quoted text -

Seems that way some years... but it can be heaven on earth for the
8-10 weeks we call summer/early fall.

Foggy sturgeon fishing on Calif Delta FishWisher General 0 February 19th 10 04:09 PM
Man it's foggy! Tim General 2 January 19th 10 04:15 PM
Sunny, foggy day at the marina Paddy's Pig Tall Ship Photos 1 October 31st 08 05:33 AM
Foggy morning Ernest Scribbler General 1 September 30th 07 05:52 PM
Foggy River Joe ASA 47 January 28th 04 02:57 AM