Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Alex McGruer

Default why paddles matter - or do they?

"VK1NF" wrote in message news:61bvb.14105$f7.707188@localhost...
Building light, comfortable paddles using wood and epoxy isn't difficult.
I've done three so far - takes about 6-8 hours, and costs less than $25 Cdn.
If anyone wants info on how to do it, feel free to drop me an 'e' -

--
" You Shouldn't Have Joined
If You Can't Take A Joke"
"andrei" wrote in message
om...
Hi everybody,

I have another newbie question: I was told that paddles a really
important and that often when people are having a bad experience with
their kayaks, it's the cheap paddle which is responsible.

I bought a Tarpon 100 sit on top recreational kayak which I use on the
Intercoastal River in the New Smyrna Beach and Edgewater area. I
absolutely love it, and I do find that this kayaks traks just fine and
fast even though many experienced kayakers find these very slow and
heavy. But then, I am 6.2 220lbs and I *enjoy* the efffort. For me,
going for three hours against the wind and the tide is simply great
fun.

My wife, who has the same kayak, is having a hard time. Our kayaks
came with 30$ paddles Carlisle. The next paddle model up (judging by
price) was already at 90 bucks! Should she consider changing?

I mean, what does the paddle do? It "grabs" the water so the kayaker
can pull himself forward, right? So what's the big deal about
paddles?! I don't imagine that two buckets on each side of a broom
would be very pleasant to use, but is it worth spending 90 bucks or
more on a paddle? Would that help my wife?

Thanks!

The paddle is the thing you hold the full time you are on the water.
I have never bought a $100.00 paddle. They are all more expensive.
When I am not on the water I am wishing I were.
If you hit a pond once every couple of weeks and cover little
distance, anything will do.
If you do 25 + KM the odd day that nice light paddle is a great thing.
If I were artistic or handy I would make my own wooden paddle , but I
am neither.
A rescue line to the bow of her boat for a little tug to help her
along may be a great idea. Make sure you have a quick release from
your rescue line, if possible from both you and her.
I have no idea of the environment you are paddling in , but a good
paddle is a joy.
Enjoy a great sport
Alex

Does Boat Color Matter For Fishing Ivan Watkins General 11 February 25th 04 05:24 PM
FS: wood break apart touring paddles Crede Calhoun General 2 November 23rd 03 08:11 PM
paddles on airlines doug General 10 November 17th 03 06:36 AM
Bent-shaft Kayak Paddles, Why? Bill Tuthill General 11 October 2nd 03 01:43 AM