David Ditch

Default cuddy get too hot?

Hi all,
My wife and I are on the fence about a bowrider or a cuddy. On thing I was
wondering is if the cabin gets really hot when you are not moving?

We have been looking at the Four Winns sundowner
We have Kids: newborn (may stay with grandparents till older), 4year old and
2 year old
Any questions I should ask my self when determining if I should have a cuddy
or bowrider?
We are in the Chesapeake bay near Annapolis.

David

Harry Krause

David Ditch wrote:

Hi all,
My wife and I are on the fence about a bowrider or a cuddy. On thing I was
wondering is if the cabin gets really hot when you are not moving?

We have been looking at the Four Winns sundowner
We have Kids: newborn (may stay with grandparents till older), 4year old and
2 year old
Any questions I should ask my self when determining if I should have a cuddy
or bowrider?
We are in the Chesapeake bay near Annapolis.

David

If I recall, other than access from the cockpit, the only opening in
that cuddy is a hatch. So, yes, the answer is, it will be hot as hades
in that cabin when the boat is not moving.

Consider a Parker pilothouse. Two opening windshields, two opening side
windows, a hatch and a large cabin door.

www.parkerboats.net

And the local Bay dealer is www.tristatemarine.com

The 23' pilothouse is a very nice boat for a young family, and so are
the larger models. You can even get an electric flushing toilet (head)
in the forward part of the cabin.

We have a 25-footer. Even on the hottest day, it is cooler in the cabin
than out in the cockpit, because the bright white fiberglass of the
cabin reflects the sun. Plus we leave all the opening windows open and
have a fan in each part of the cabin. We also have a bimini top for the
cockpit.

You can equip the 23' pilothouse the same way. Oh...and you won't have
to deal with one of those bloody awful I/O drives.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:56:11 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:
My wife and I are on the fence about a bowrider or a cuddy. On thing I was
wondering is if the cabin gets really hot when you are not moving?

==============================

Yes, the cuddy will get hot. It has other advantages however:

- A place to stow gear out of sight and out of the weather.

- A modicum of privacy for the port-a-pot.

- More sea worthy in the heavy stuff.

- Enclosed bunks for the occassional night aboard or spontaneous
sports activities. :-)
Lawrence James

I'd never give up my bowrider for a cuddy for anything. It depends on what
you want to do with your boat. If you're into recreational fair weather
boating then there is not much advantage to a cuddy. It will reduce the
number of passengers you can carry because no one will want to be in it
while under way or while sitting. Every small boat I've been in with a
cuddy and it has looked like someones hall closet. I can easily have 8
adults and kids in my 19 ft runabout bowrider.

wrote:
My wife and I are on the fence about a bowrider or a cuddy. On thing I

was
wondering is if the cabin gets really hot when you are not moving?

==============================

Yes, the cuddy will get hot. It has other advantages however:

- A place to stow gear out of sight and out of the weather.

- A modicum of privacy for the port-a-pot.

- More sea worthy in the heavy stuff.

- Enclosed bunks for the occassional night aboard or spontaneous
sports activities. :-)

Wayne.B

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:29:08 GMT, "Lawrence James"
wrote:
I can easily have 8
adults and kids in my 19 ft runabout bowrider.

=====================================

With all due respect, I hope you're a flat water boater.

David Ditch

Thanks all I had argued the same point to my wife about being able to put
more people on the boat.
I felt that sitting up front was great for the teenage nephews I had.
One thing I though about was did I want to get the boat for my family or for
entertaining.
I came back to the thought that I wanted to maximize the utility of the boat
for the main concerns of who was making the payments.. Me and my wife. (well
mostly my wife

With a family of 5, our thoughts were that we had plenty of room to fit us
all. I have been concious about how many people will sit comfortably while
under way. Some of the boats I had been looking at barely fit enough for 5
to sit. The nice thing I noticed about the sundowner 205 was there was room
for 6+ adults to sit down.

When I looked at the bowriders there were plenty of room but I wanted to
make sure I could sit kids right beside adults. The sport seating benches
were good for that but I felt lowered the floor space. Something I have to
think about if we end up deciding on a bowrider.

I also hear if the cuddy has a head and stove, the interest is tax
deductable as a "vacation home" just like a camper can be.

David

hlink.net...

wrote:
My wife and I are on the fence about a bowrider or a cuddy. On thing I

was
wondering is if the cabin gets really hot when you are not moving?

==============================

Yes, the cuddy will get hot. It has other advantages however:

- A place to stow gear out of sight and out of the weather.

- A modicum of privacy for the port-a-pot.

- More sea worthy in the heavy stuff.

- Enclosed bunks for the occassional night aboard or spontaneous
sports activities. :-)

Wayne.B

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:12:56 -0400, "David Ditch"
wrote:

I also hear if the cuddy has a head and stove, the interest is tax
deductable as a "vacation home" just like a camper can be.

That can be true in many cases but it's important to remember that
you're only allowed one "second" home for interest deductions.

Joe Parsons

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:46:32 -0400, "David Ditch"
wrote:

Hi all,
My wife and I are on the fence about a bowrider or a cuddy. On thing I was
wondering is if the cabin gets really hot when you are not moving?

We have been looking at the Four Winns sundowner
We have Kids: newborn (may stay with grandparents till older), 4year old and
2 year old
Any questions I should ask my self when determining if I should have a cuddy
or bowrider?
We are in the Chesapeake bay near Annapolis.

I've just bought a Four Winns Sundowner 195. I had at first considered a
bowrider, but once I looked at this configuration, it was no contest.

The cuddy has a hatch for ventilation, and if that's not enough, you can get a
fabric scoop to direct the air into the cabin.

I found the cuddy to be a lot more practical for multiple reasons: one, it's
nice to have a large lockable compartment for gear.

Second, there's enough room in the cabin for two people to sleep comfortably (if
somewhat spartanly); there's space for a porta-potti, which is extremely
desirable when traveling with females.

The only disadvantage I can see to the cuddy is that it's a bit more difficult
to get to the bow line for docking. You can get to the foredeck through the
windshield, but it's somewhat awkward. I haven't really found docking to be
much of a problem.

We have the "camper top" on ours, so we can enclose the entire cockpit if we
want--plus two of the seats turn into couches.

The windscreen on ours is very effective--sitting in the front seats, there's
essentially no wind at 30 kts--although when you move toward the stern there's
plenty. If I want more wind on me, I just open the center panel of the
windshield.

Overall, I am very happy with the cuddy, and can't imagine having a bowrider.

HTH,
Joe Parsons

Insomniac

My first boat was a 17' bowrider. About 99% of the use was with the bow
cover on. Rarely had that many people on board plus it opens you up to
catching wind and waves. So I hardly ever took the bow cover off. In fact,
I sealed the underside with weather-stripping to make it more waterproof.

We moved up to get a cuddy. Ended up moving to 25' (nice cuddy . I
agree with most of the other comments. It's nice to have the privacy and
protection of the cuddy as well as the extra storage. I don't find our
cuddy uncomfortably hot ,but we do live in Seattle With the windows open
it's fine, and there is usually a breeze on the water.

wrote:
My wife and I are on the fence about a bowrider or a cuddy. On thing

was
wondering is if the cabin gets really hot when you are not moving?
==============================

Yes, the cuddy will get hot. It has other advantages however:

- A place to stow gear out of sight and out of the weather.

- A modicum of privacy for the port-a-pot.

- More sea worthy in the heavy stuff.

- Enclosed bunks for the occassional night aboard or spontaneous
sports activities. :-)

Doug Kanter

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
news

- Enclosed bunks for the occassional night aboard or spontaneous
sports activities. :-)

Uh, blush, yep....

You'd only need that if you were addicted to sex. Translation: Where's Dave
Hall been, anyway? Did the hurricane carry him away? :-)