Doug Kanter

Default cuddy get too hot?

8 bodies on a 19 foot boat? The vests alone should take up quite a bit of
space.

"Lawrence James" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I'd never give up my bowrider for a cuddy for anything. It depends on

what
you want to do with your boat. If you're into recreational fair weather
boating then there is not much advantage to a cuddy. It will reduce the
number of passengers you can carry because no one will want to be in it
while under way or while sitting. Every small boat I've been in with a
cuddy and it has looked like someones hall closet. I can easily have 8
adults and kids in my 19 ft runabout bowrider.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:56:11 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:
My wife and I are on the fence about a bowrider or a cuddy. On thing I

was
wondering is if the cabin gets really hot when you are not moving?

==============================

Yes, the cuddy will get hot. It has other advantages however:

- A place to stow gear out of sight and out of the weather.

- A modicum of privacy for the port-a-pot.

- More sea worthy in the heavy stuff.

- Enclosed bunks for the occassional night aboard or spontaneous
sports activities. :-)

RG

"David Ditch" wrote in message
Hi all,
My wife and I are on the fence about a bowrider or a cuddy. On thing I was
wondering is if the cabin gets really hot when you are not moving?

We have been looking at the Four Winns sundowner
We have Kids: newborn (may stay with grandparents till older), 4year old

and
2 year old
Any questions I should ask my self when determining if I should have a

cuddy
or bowrider?
We are in the Chesapeake bay near Annapolis.

Bowriders outsell Cuddys by a wide margin, and I've never understood why. I
guess kids get a kick out of sitting in the bow area. Personally, I'd just
as soon not have people in front of the helm obstructing my view forward.
Also, I believe that passengers are inherently safer in the cockpit area of
a runabout than in the bow area, in the event of sudden maneuvers, stops, or
collisions. I realize nobody plans on such events happening, but they
occasionally do, and passengers are less likely to be thrown from the boat
in the cockpit area, which typically has much more height from the sole to
the gunwales, than in the bow area of a bowrider. As has been mentioned
many times already, the Cuddy is multifunctional, providing out of the way
and secure (lockable) storage for gear, as well as sleeping accommodations
and privacy. The bowrider area has only two functions, seating for people
who aren't paying for the boat, and letting weather and greenies into the
cockpit. I've owned two Cuddys and thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the
small cabin. I've never had any interest in owning a bowrider. Honestly, I
simply can't understand anybody who thinks eight people in a 20' boat is a
good time.

Lawrence James

Yep, lakes in the carolinas.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:29:08 GMT, "Lawrence James"
wrote:
I can easily have 8
adults and kids in my 19 ft runabout bowrider.

=====================================

With all due respect, I hope you're a flat water boater.

David Ditch

Thanks to all the replies on this newsgroup.
I am feeling more comfortable with the decision to get a cuddy vs a
bowrider.
I bet one of the reasons bowriders outsell is that maybe before you own a
boat, you ride on someone else's. In those cases owners + guests mean more
passangers and you then think about "capacity" instead of "functionality"
for the family that will spend the most time on the boat.
As a future boat owner (if all goes well) I was originally thinking how many
of my friends and nephews I'd fit on the boat. It was actually my wife that
pointed out we need to maximize the comfort for the immediate family first.

Thanks guys for all the info.

David
"RG" wrote in message news:xzpeb.8957$Rd4.5296@fed1read07...

[...]

Lawrence James

Coast guard capacity plate says 8. It is a sport interior and easily fits 3
in the bow, 2 in the bucket seats and 3 on the bench. We're talk fair
weather boating here. I'va had 11 in it, not legal but when you're on a
lake and the fathest you can get from shore is about 500 feet??? I've got
jackets for 14, cause you need so many sizes to cover everyone.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:59:44 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:57:33 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

using the same logic, I can easily carry 11 (legally)
aboard my 23 cuddy...

Legal != smart nor safe

I won't argue that point. I did, however, think that 8 in a 19 footer
sounded a bit *illegal*, and tried (unsuccessfully perhaps) to infer
that point.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Bill Kiene

David,

I would say get the cuddy cabin for the Chesapeake Bay. If bad weather comes
in, you have no where to hide in a bowrider.

Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"David Ditch" wrote in message
Hi all,
My wife and I are on the fence about a bowrider or a cuddy. On thing I was
wondering is if the cabin gets really hot when you are not moving?

We have been looking at the Four Winns sundowner
We have Kids: newborn (may stay with grandparents till older), 4year old

and
2 year old
Any questions I should ask my self when determining if I should have a

cuddy
or bowrider?
We are in the Chesapeake bay near Annapolis.

David

Bob D.

Ahhh I smell a programmer amongst us :^)

Legal != smart nor safe