Default 3.0 wont idle but runs great

Hey all, I have a 2005 3.0l mercruiser sterndrive that is acting wierd. It
will run all day long, runs great, but at the end of the day, it refuses to
idle, it just dies on me. Start it back up and it will run full throttle
just fine, but try to idle and it dies. If I let it sit for a day or two, it
goes back to running normal.
So far I have rebuilt the carb, rebuilt the fuel pump, cleaned the fuel
filter. checked for water in the gas, put another ingnition module in,
replaced the coil. Im out of things to do.
What am I missing?
Thanks
Steve

On Jul 11, 6:02*am, "Steve" wrote:
Hey all, I have a 2005 3.0l mercruiser sterndrive that is acting wierd. It
will run all day long, runs great, but at the end of the day, it refuses to
idle, it just dies on me. Start it back up and it will run full throttle
just fine, but try to idle and it dies. If I let it sit for a day or two, it
goes back to running normal.
So far I have rebuilt the carb, rebuilt the fuel pump, cleaned the fuel
filter. checked for water in the gas, put another ingnition module in,
replaced the coil. Im out of things to do.
What am I missing?
Thanks
Steve

Did you try premium? Sounds like maybe it is vapor locking.

ALL the jets are clear. I soaked the carb in carb cleaner an then sprayed
out all the jets with the carb cleaner in the can. I dont think its vapor
lock, I can see gas squirt out the accel pump jets.
Keep throwing guesses. cuz I have no clue.
Is it possible that the flapper valve is bouncing around in the exhuast tube
?

Thank you sofar
Steve
wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:02:13 -0500, "Steve"
wrote:

Hey all, I have a 2005 3.0l mercruiser sterndrive that is acting wierd. It
will run all day long, runs great, but at the end of the day, it refuses
idle, it just dies on me. Start it back up and it will run full throttle
just fine, but try to idle and it dies. If I let it sit for a day or two,
it
goes back to running normal.
So far I have rebuilt the carb, rebuilt the fuel pump, cleaned the fuel
filter. checked for water in the gas, put another ingnition module in,
replaced the coil. Im out of things to do.
What am I missing?
Thanks
Steve

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
---

Are you sure you got the idle jet passages cleaned out?

i have all the parts, sprayed the carb cleaner at the carb base. no changes

wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:52:21 -0700, JR North
wrote:

Carb base insulator possibly missing?
JR

Yup or maybe a vacuum leak, bad base gasket or a leak somewhere else.

Try dribbling gas down the carb throat with a small squeeze bottle and
see if it idles (fast).

You can listen for a vacuum leak with a piece of small hose. Hold one
end up to your ear and probe with the other. It helps to stick a ball
point pen barrel or other small tube on the probe end so you can
control it better..

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Carb base insulator possibly missing?
JR

Yup or maybe a vacuum leak, bad base gasket or a leak somewhere else.

Try dribbling gas down the carb throat with a small squeeze bottle and
see if it idles (fast).

You can listen for a vacuum leak with a piece of small hose. Hold one
end up to your ear and probe with the other. It helps to stick a ball
point pen barrel or other small tube on the probe end so you can
control it better..

--- Posted via
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to ---

I don't know if you have a four stroke or a two, but if it only happens
when it's hot, how about (4 stroke) if you have a valve that's
stretching and bottoms out on the bucket when it's hot?

They tighten up when they get hot... on a four stroke..

If it's a two stroke, Do a compression test or a leak down test, then
check the reeds??? Do two stroke boat engines have reed valves, I
suppose they must...

Just thinking out loud, something is happening when it gets hot, I am
thinking you are loosing compression when it's hot or some kind of mild
blow by that doesn't effect the engine at higher rpm based on the ratio
of leak, to mixture delivered to the cylinder...

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 11, 5:02*am, "Steve" wrote:
Hey all, I have a 2005 3.0l mercruiser sterndrive that is acting wierd. It
will run all day long, runs great, but at the end of the day, it refuses to
idle, it just dies on me. Start it back up and it will run full throttle
just fine, but try to idle and it dies. If I let it sit for a day or two, it
goes back to running normal.
So far I have rebuilt the carb, rebuilt the fuel pump, cleaned the fuel
filter. checked for water in the gas, put another ingnition module in,
replaced the coil. Im out of things to do.
What am I missing?
Thanks
Steve

You might want to run a compression test to see if you have a burnt
valve. My 140 would sort of do the same thing, but would run WO and
pull the proverbial "4000 RPM", and there was no sign of water in the
oil, but when idling back down it would cough, and die. it took some
throttle work to get it over the dead spot but would seem to run fine.
however, pulling a tube was a chore. a real loss of power. but w/o the
extra drag, you couldn't tell it.Under investigation it had a blown
head gasket and two exhaust valves burnt.

Had the head checked out, replaced with all steel valves and a new
gasket

Runs great and hasn't stalled since.

In article d9767c46-043d-4627-83df-cf4287ca83b7
@d14g2000yqb.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jul 11, 5:02*am, "Steve" wrote:
[...]

Yup, that's what I am thinkin'...

On Jul 11, 5:02*am, "Steve" wrote:
[...]

Yeah, Scott. I think his problem is'nt fuel delivery, but much deeper
than that.

my compression gauge only goes to 160. I pegged the gauge on each cylinder.
I started it last night, ran fine.
It seems to do this only when it has below 1/2 tank. and after idleing for a
while (over 10 minutes) SOOOO ????
Its in a Balyliner 175,year:2005.
A couple of ideas that I want to throw out there .
Is there a screen in the fuel pick up?, I already checked the gas tank vent,
clear.
Could the ignition module be funky, gets hot and retards the timing?
I really dont want this one, can a bad flapper/shutter cause it,
Thanks again. Sorry for the mindtwist
Steve