Mr. Tea

Default Advice on Microsoft Virus

The virus that is propagating itself by masquerading as a Microsoft Security
Update uses usenet addresses to propogate itself.

I am not an expert on this virus, but I do have personal experience that may
prove useful. I have two accounts, one that I use solely for usenet
postings. I receive many of these security updates on this account. I have
another that I use for personal business and I have received none.

Using a seperate address (or a fake one) is a good way to keep the spam away
and should be done regardless. I like using a seperate one as opposed to a
fake one as it does allow one to one communication with other usenet
posters.

If your current address is already compromised I'd recommend contacting your
ISP and seeing if you can set up a second, private, address to start using
for your personal business only.

-D.L.

John Kuthe

"Mr. Tea" wrote:

The virus that is propagating itself by masquerading as a Microsoft Security
Update uses usenet addresses to propogate itself.

I am not an expert on this virus, but I do have personal experience that may
prove useful. I have two accounts, one that I use solely for usenet
postings. I receive many of these security updates on this account. I have
another that I use for personal business and I have received none.

[chop]

Yeah, that's a real pain in ther ass thing too. I'm using Outlook 2000,
and I've set up a couple of rules, one to key off the Subject line and
the other to key off the From field, and I eventually have most all the
apparent senders and subjects covered and my rule deletes them upon
receipt. But it took some work! I have over 60 subjects listed, and
several dozen apparent senders too. I think that virus took about 4
separate lists of words to assemble subject lines in random combination,
but I think I have 'em all covered now.

If only people would stop double chicking on attachments! DUH! And BTW
kids, Microsoft NEVER sends out unsolicited updates, not via email. You
can pull 'em from their website, and if you are running Automatic
Update, you can get 'em that way, but NEVER VIA EMAIL!!! :-(

--
John Kuthe,
1st rule of Govt: protect people from Govt
Wilko

"Mr. Tea" wrote in message news:B0wmb.11845$ao4.26609@attbi_s51...
The virus that is propagating itself by masquerading as a Microsoft Security
Update uses usenet addresses to propogate itself.

I am not an expert on this virus, but I do have personal experience that may
prove useful. I have two accounts, one that I use solely for usenet
postings. I receive many of these security updates on this account. I have
another that I use for personal business and I have received none.

Using a seperate address (or a fake one) is a good way to keep the spam away
and should be done regardless. I like using a seperate one as opposed to a
fake one as it does allow one to one communication with other usenet
posters.

If your current address is already compromised I'd recommend contacting your
ISP and seeing if you can set up a second, private, address to start using
for your personal business only.

Although this is solid advice, once the damage has been done, not all
is lost. Just install a spam filter and you should still be able to
get most of your interesting mail. I use the free spam filter at
http://www.know-spam.com
(Not affiliated with them in any way, I just like that service a lot!)

--
Wilko van den Bergh
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe