Nick Borelli

Default Idaho's Bruneau - What to paddle it?

I'm looking to paddle the Bruneau next Memorial Day weekend, and I'm looking
for some raft support (I'm an inflatable kayaker). Will drive all the
logistics, meals, shuttle services, etc. in exchange for raft support and
good river company for myself and a couple of IKing buddies.

I've not done this magnificent run, and I don't want another season to go by
and miss it. Please contact me directly at if you are
interested.

beaver charlie

Given that the Bruneau is nearly always to low for rafts by Memorial
Day, how about going self supported?
Charles Pezeshki

Hi BC,

This is not true. The Bruneau is usually run over Memorial Day.

It's the Owyhee that is almost always too low.

Chuck
http://www.wildcountry.info

in article , beaver charlie
at
wrote on 10/17/03 7:03 AM:

Given that the Bruneau is nearly always to low for rafts by Memorial
Day, how about going self supported?

beaver charlie

Charles Pezeshki wrote in message ...
Hi BC,

This is not true. The Bruneau is usually run over Memorial Day.

It's the Owyhee that is almost always too low.

Hmmmm. Historically during "normal" flood years perhaps, but over the
last four years it has been too low (for rafts) over memorial day.
Given the recent trend, I wouldn't count on raftable flows over
memorial day. I'd advise going self-supported IKs. We've done it as
low as 100 cfs.
Mr. Tea

Any opinions on a good open canoe level? Something where the risk of
swamping is only occassional, not continous or life threatening?

-D.L.

Charles Pezeshki

Hi Mr. Tea,

500 cfs is perfect. Put in on the Jarbidge and run down all the way for a
4-5 day trip.

Five Mile rapid will still require 3+ skills, but is truly broken up into
pools.

For the less competent, go when lower.

Chuck

http://www.wildcountry.info

in article XXvmb.11827$ao4.26344@attbi_s51, Mr. Tea at
wrote on 10/25/03 7:40 AM:

Any opinions on a good open canoe level? Something where the risk of
swamping is only occassional, not continous or life threatening?

-D.L.

Charles Pezeshki

NOTE! to all those "whitewater canoeists" out the

If your idea of 'whitewater canoeing' is the same as my hillbilly youth--
where we ran Class I and called it 'whitewater', then 500 cfs is STILL too
much. Five Mile is still a set of about six kickin' rapids, and you will
find the Truth (and an extremely difficult, rattlesnake-infested hike out)
in your future. There are so many snakes down in the Bruneau/Jarbidge
canyon system, it truly boggles the mind. That's true for you Class V
junkies out there looking for the big ride through Jarbidge Falls-- which
should be scouted, even if you run it. Actually, scouting is MANDATORY.

Lots of folks do the Bruneau/Owyhee system at what whitewater boaters would
consider EXTREMELY low flows-- 200 cfs-- and have a FINE time doing it. The
canyons are stellar, and if you have some level of resistance to cow poop,
it's as close to true wilderness as you can get in the lower 48.

Regular skilled whitewater canoeists-- 'Open Boaters' as we called them in
my youth-- will find 500 cfs a wonderfully banal and pleasant level.
Someone like that guy from Kanubistan.

For real excitement, there's nothing like the Jarbidge/Bruneau system above
1500 cfs. Actually, I recommend 2500 cfs, from personal experience. At
this level, all the eddies go away on the entire river, and you have the
fun/excitement of watching any accompanying rafters getting swept into the
inevitable box-canyon riverwide logjam. Plus, there's no fla****er! Just
so you whitewater cowboys know, run Jarbidge falls on the left. Uh, and any
rapid that might look like Jarbidge Falls, because you probably won't be
able to stop above Jarbidge Falls.

Uh, don't ask me how I know.

Best,

Chuck
http://www.wildcountry.info

in article , Charles Pezeshki at
wrote on 10/25/03 8:31 AM:

Hi Mr. Tea,

500 cfs is perfect. Put in on the Jarbidge and run down all the way for a
4-5 day trip.

Five Mile rapid will still require 3+ skills, but is truly broken up into
pools.

For the less competent, go when lower.

Chuck

Tom McCloud

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 14:40:55 GMT, "Mr. Tea"
wrote:

Any opinions on a good open canoe level? Something where the risk of
swamping is only occassional, not continous or life threatening?

I ran the Jarbidge/Bruneau at ~1,300 on the Bruneau gage in a solo
whitewater boat with airbags, carrying all gear, a 6 day trip. That
was a great level. Lots of long class 3 rapids, and a few higher
than that. Some scouting is needed and a couple portages. But it's
a really great trip. Wish you luck in having the water to do it.
Tom McCloud