butch burton

Default Scripps Model 302 V12 Engine

Saw one in a Hacker this weekend and am curious about the origin of
the engine. It has 2 plugs per cylinder and the layout looks a bit
like the Rolls-Royce V12 engines of wwII. Was this engine used in
early aircraft-seem to remember Liberty had a V12 engine. Big sucker,
891 cu in and 316 HP.

thanks
Steve

There were several other V12s in WWII aircraft and later used in boats.

Packard and Allison come to mind.

The Packards were common in WWII PT boats.

I think Allison made W16, which had 4 banks of cylinders. I just saw some in
an old warehouse that belonged to a retired competition hydro boat builder.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Trainfan1

SHEESH... how many gallons/hr. at cruise speed on that baby? It probably
has never been run for very long at cruise to do an actual calculation
beyond a gph meter...

Rob
*
*
*

"butch burton" wrote in message
om...
Saw one in a Hacker this weekend and am curious about the origin of
the engine. It has 2 plugs per cylinder and the layout looks a bit
like the Rolls-Royce V12 engines of wwII. Was this engine used in
early aircraft-seem to remember Liberty had a V12 engine. Big sucker,
891 cu in and 316 HP.

thanks

JohnVan

Default Allison W24

"Steve" wrote in message ...
There were several other V12s in WWII aircraft and later used in boats.

Packard and Allison come to mind.

The Packards were common in WWII PT boats.

I think Allison made W16, which had 4 banks of cylinders. I just saw some in
an old warehouse that belonged to a retired competition hydro boat builder.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Allison also made a W24. This was two V12s joined by a common gearbox.
No idea what they were used in. There's a picture of one in the book
Michigan Madman, by C.J. Potter. He used them (V12 and W24) in pulling
tractors.
Steve

Default Allison W24 (+ Sea Story)

The "W" configuration I mention is in a single block. Kinda like a third of
a radial engine.

I'm not sure if it had a single crank shaft.

Sea Story:
While in the US Navy, I came across an old WWII PC that had "Quad's". This
ship was about 100' with twin screw (two shafts) and a total of 8 engines.
Power to each shaft was provided by four GMC V8-71s. Two facing forward and
two facing aft. Each engine had a twin disc clutch with pnuematic controls
and could be engaged/disengaged from the main reduction gear.

I came across this ship (actually several), loaded with Cambodian refugees
in 1975. The refugees were disembarked by the US Marines and I, with a crew
of 8 US Navy sailors, brought this old PC into Subic Bay.

Of the 8 engines. Only one engine on the port shaft was operational and 2
engines on the stbd shaft was running. Only operational generator was a 2-71
aux and after about 2 hours it went due to a leaking SW pump spraying onto
the 'ole' open face switch board.

No power ment no steering system. We took a tow for the last 30 mile to a
mooring in Subic Bay.

Last I heard, these 'neat' little ships were turned over to Nat. Chineese
Navy.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions