John

Default wenonah pronounced WE KNOW NOW

Friends of mine had been going to BWCA for years. A few years ago they
rented Wenonah canoes for the first time ever. Three of four canoes
capsized during the trip. They had never capsized a canoe before that.
They refer to the canoes as WE KNOW NOW's (not to rent wenonah's).
Maybe it was the weather or their confidence that caused the
problem...but they swear it was the canoes

Marsh Jones

Got an axe to grind, John?

So far, the only canoe I've ever flipped in the BWCA was an Old Town
Penobscot 16 - and we were shooting a rapid expecting to go swimming.
Big deal. As a general rule, it's the rider, not the ride. Wenonah
Minnesota II is the standard for BWCA travel - at least in Kevlar boats.
They are not a short, beamy barge - they are long, very fast, and have
a lower initial stability in trade for a very good secondary stability.
You can flip them if you use them improperly, although the same can be
said for any boat. Without knowing your friends real ability, the
specific conditions that they were in, and what they normally paddled,
it's hard for me to assess their appropriateness for the boats.
Personally, I'll stick to my MinnII for BWCA travel.

Marsh Jones
New Brighton, MN

John wrote:
Friends of mine had been going to BWCA for years. A few years ago they
rented Wenonah canoes for the first time ever. Three of four canoes
capsized during the trip. They had never capsized a canoe before that.
They refer to the canoes as WE KNOW NOW's (not to rent wenonah's).
Maybe it was the weather or their confidence that caused the
problem...but they swear it was the canoes

Peter H

John wrote:

Friends of mine had been going to BWCA for years. A few years ago
they rented Wenonah canoes for the first time ever. Three of four
canoes capsized during the trip. They had never capsized a canoe
before that. They refer to the canoes as WE KNOW NOW's (not to rent
wenonah's). Maybe it was the weather or their confidence that caused
the problem...but they swear it was the canoes

The canoe that hasn't been capsized hasn't been made yet.

Pete H

--
If the assumptions are wrong, the
conclusions aren't likely to be very good.

Mtkkburk

John wrote:
Friends of mine had been going to BWCA for years. A few years ago they
rented Wenonah canoes for the first time ever. Three of four canoes
capsized during the trip. They had never capsized a canoe before that.
They refer to the canoes as WE KNOW NOW's (not to rent wenonah's).
Maybe it was the weather or their confidence that caused the
problem...but they swear it was the canoes

Maybe it was their lack of a low brace ;-)

I agree with Marsh. Every hull design is a tradeoff between speed and
stability. I had a Wenonah Jensen 18 that I used to use for casual racing.
While it is not necessarily recommended as a tripping boat, we took it up to
Algonquin one year for an 11 day trip up into the northern end of the park. We
had that sucker loaded. While it was slightly less stable than the other boats
that were on the trip, it was an absolute joy to paddle. It was fast and
responsive. I would take a slight loss of initial stability to get hull speed
any day.

Mike

Mike McCrea

"MLL" wrote in message om...
Of course they said it was the boat's fault. It always is, isn't it?

Gotta be, unless you paddle with your spouse or a dog :-)

Many Wenonah designs do tend towards the fast, narrow and tender, and
inexperienced paddlers accustomed to knocking about in a wider and
more initially stable hull may be surprised at first.