Jack

Default Sea Kayak vs. Touring Kayak

Will someone please tell me the difference between a sea kayak and a
touring kayak.
Thanks.
jm

Blankibr

We really do use the terms interchangably.

Perhaps this will help. I was the Sea Kayaking Program Director for a paddle
sports company. The boss suggested we start using the term touring kayaks
instead of sea kayaks because he felt it scared away potential customers who
were not interested in going on the "sea."

Brian
Geoff Jennings

. In Greenland (my personal "Mecca" of
kayaking), each "qajaq" is built from the ground up for a particular
purpose, and proportioned to the body measurements of the individual
paddler. Any boat not built to those particulars is not even a
"qajaq", but "like a qajaq" ("qajariaq"). Melissa

So I've often wondered, What happened when people died or "retired" from
hunting? Surely resources like a qajaq were to precious to discard? What
happened to them?

Geoff

Dave Van

"Geoff Jennings" wrote in message
t...
. In Greenland (my personal "Mecca" of
kayaking), each "qajaq" is built from the ground up for a particular
purpose, and proportioned to the body measurements of the individual
paddler. Any boat not built to those particulars is not even a
"qajaq", but "like a qajaq" ("qajariaq"). Melissa

So I've often wondered, What happened when people died or "retired" from
hunting? Surely resources like a qajaq were to precious to discard? What
happened to them?

Geoff

If they were indeed tailored specifically for an individual, then how
precious could they be once that individual was gone?

If orginally built as a qajaq for a particular individual, it could be
passed on to someone else as a qajariaq, right?

Brian Nystrom

Dave Van wrote:

"Geoff Jennings" wrote in message
t...
. In Greenland (my personal "Mecca" of
kayaking), each "qajaq" is built from the ground up for a particular
purpose, and proportioned to the body measurements of the individual
paddler. Any boat not built to those particulars is not even a
"qajaq", but "like a qajaq" ("qajariaq"). Melissa

So I've often wondered, What happened when people died or "retired" from
hunting? Surely resources like a qajaq were to precious to discard? What
happened to them?

Geoff

If they were indeed tailored specifically for an individual, then how
precious could they be once that individual was gone?

If orginally built as a qajaq for a particular individual, it could be
passed on to someone else as a qajariaq, right?

Presumably, they were rebuilt to fit another person or passed on to someone of
similar proportions. Unless the original owner was significantly outside the
norm in size, it should be easy to do so.

One thing that is common in Greenland is for gunwale boards or frames of
departed relatives to be displayed as reminders of them and their
accomplishments.

--
Regards

Brian