Chris Kelly

Default Canoe and kayak safety

I am new to the sport and wondered if any of you knew of any way that
I could make my boat safer. I was thinking of attaching some kind of
hard shelled extra floation on each side, so that I might not flip
over so much.
Any guidance?

Steve

Dave Van wrote:

Why do this, Chris?

"Chris Kelly" ...

I am new to the sport and wondered if any of you knew of any way that
I could make my boat safer. I was thinking of attaching some kind of
hard shelled extra floation on each side, so that I might not flip
over so much.
Any guidance?

Pax, Dave, you must think he's talking about s*****ns. Knowing Chris, he's
thinking of attaching a kayak to each side.

Steve Cramer
Athens, GA

Eric

Chris Kelly wrote:

Any guidance?

Sure.

Sell the kayak the kayak that isn't working well for you.

Demo kayaks until you find one that does work well for you, then
purchase it.

I have never flipped in my kayak when that was not my intention.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
Chris Kelly

Dave's right, I should not have done it. Returning to RBP as I am it
just was toooooooo tempting.

Just goes to prove the old rule that the more ya want to say something
the less you oughta say it. chris

Brian Nystrom

Eric wrote:

I have never flipped in my kayak when that was not my intention.

Maybe you should take it out of the bathtub.

--
Regards

Brian

Dave Van

"Eric" wrote

I have never flipped in my kayak when that was not my intention.

Bummer.

William R. Watt

what you need is formal instruction from a certified paddling instructor.
You must take at least four courses, then attach the framed certificates
autographed by your wealthy certified paddling instructors to the sides of
your boat where they will serve as hydrofoils. that will keep you from
flipping over so much. If you are still havign problems then I'm afraind
you will have to swallow your pride and add sponsons to your boat. Nobody
likes to be seen in a boat with training wheels but if safety is your real
goal, and not looking like a waterborne stud in rut, then sponsons are
essential.

PS - if you are paddling with some sort of physical or mental handicap we
can give you advice tailored to your individual needs, but we'd need
specifics. You are fortunate in that there are certified paddling
instructors whoare qualified to teach paddling to people with a number of
specific personal challenges. Paddling is for everyone. Don't flip out.
You can do it!!! We don't guarantee you will enjoy it. But you CAN do it.

Chris Kelly ) writes:
I am new to the sport and wondered if any of you knew of any way that
I could make my boat safer. I was thinking of attaching some kind of
hard shelled extra floation on each side, so that I might not flip
over so much.
Any guidance?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Oci-One Kanubi

(William R. Watt) typed:

what you need is formal instruction from a certified paddling instructor.
You must take at least four courses, then attach the framed certificates
autographed by your wealthy certified paddling instructors...

Bwaaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaa... Willy What said "wealthy ... paddling
instructors", totally trashing any vestige of credibility he might
have in his verbal war against formal instruction.

Newsflash, William: there is no such thing as a "wealthy paddling
instructor", certified or otherwise. They do it for love of the
sport, accepting the fact that they will earn considerably less than
an average middle-class income in either yer country or mine.

How can you wage war against the concept of formal paddling
instruction when you (as clearly demostrated by this *faux pas*) have
obviously never met a certified instructor?

Jeez, yer cause (I said "yer cause", not "you") is moronic (though
sometimes I do wonder if you are just not too bright). Maybe all
those physicians should stop squandering their money on formal
instruction at expensive medical schools, and just hang up a shingle
and learn on the job? Maybe the RCMP should save tax money by not
giving the Mounties the expensive training they do today? Maybe the
RCAF should send its pilots up to teach themselves how to fly, rather
than paying those wealthy certified flying instructors? Maybe
professional, high-school, and youth-club hockey teams should do
without all those wealthy (certified?) coaches?

-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
Richard Hopley, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net 1-301-775-0471
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll.
rhopley[at]wfubmc[dot]edu 1-336-713-5077
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters.