B J Conner

Default Life in Congo, Part V: What a (long) strange trip its being....

It was a small jest. Riding around in a country where the army and police
are all drinking palm wine and packing AK-47s and decide the law on the
spot is a hell of a lot more dangerous than eating a grub with a little
palm oil.
The main squeeze has us on a healthy diet so it's no palm oil or Chorizo
for us.
I found about the Australia rules when one of my kids brought back some
Mentos from there. We were comparing the ingrediants to some sold here and
there was no palm oil in the ones made for the Australian market. We found
later that the Aussies have a little more common sense than Clarke would
give them credit for.
Most of the stuff I have seen here with palm oil is targeted at the quicky
mart and low income groups, jsut the ones who don't need it and don't read
labels.
I have eaten grubs before. If I had to do it again I would perfect a
microwave reciepe. They were tollable when toasted, but maby wrapped in
bacon and nuked??

"riverman" wrote in message

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
"Stan Gula" writes:

"BJ Conner" wrote in message
om...
"leaves with palm oil "
Palm oil is really dangerous, It's not allowed in many countrys

now,
Australian for one.

"riverman" wrote in message
Wow, I'd like to know more about that. Too bad, palm oil is quite

tasty.

I would like to see a reference for that too. My bull**** meter got

up
75% on that one and I got curious. All I can find is one

environmental
action group recommending a boycott of palm oil products that are

produced

Wrong kind of "dangerous". It's a monstrous clog on the arteries.
In its native form, I believe, it's got quite a bit of saturated
fat, and it frequently shows up in food products in a hydrogenated
form, which is the worst stuff out there. So, it's not bull****,
but nevertheless a really bizarre non sequitur.

Hi Mary: I think I'm finding that the culprit is Palm Kernal Oil, which is
86% saturated fats and contributes to LDLs, whereas Palm Oil (or Palm Nut
Oil) is 50% saturated fats, and does not raise LDLs, and some resources
claim that it even is beneficial to the HDL/LDL ratio. I think what they

use
here for consumption in raw form is Palm Nut Oil, but I could easily be
wrong on this (and will post the appropriate apology to BJ for challenging
his useful and thoughtful statement.

In fact, I'll just do that now. Sorry, BJ; calling your claim bull**** was
pretty insensitive and brash on my part. Looks like theres a lot more to

it
than meets the eye, so thanks for the heads-up. I was WAY too quick on the
draw.

--riverman

Osmo Jauhiainen

"Herman Nijland" kirjoitti viestissä
Osmo Jauhiainen wrote:
This is part V but the first part I've seen! Somehow I have missed the
other parts!

They were posted quite some time ago. This should give you a good start:
http://tinyurl.com/o80i

Thanks Herman! But I was already yesterday evening browsing the history of
roff with google and found all the parts! The news servers I'm using did
not
remember that old messages!

Need some time to read the report from the beginning!

OsmoJ

Bill Mason

"riverman" wrote in message
Life in Congo-Part 5: What a long, strange trip.

gigantic snip

As usual, I'm late to the party, but that was an incredible, wonderful
report. Thanks for the glimpse into a Congolese reality.

Cheers,
Bill

Mike McCrea

You are a braver man than I am, Mr. Buck.

Thanks for a great read, and a great series. Two hopes:

I hope you continue to write and share these with us as long as you
are in the Congo

and

I hope that your next teaching assignment finds you in some locale
with fewer assult rifles and more rivers to paddle.
riverman

"Mike McCrea" wrote in message
om...
You are a braver man than I am, Mr. Buck.

Thanks for a great read, and a great series. Two hopes:

I hope you continue to write and share these with us as long as you
are in the Congo

and

I hope that your next teaching assignment finds you in some locale
with fewer assult rifles and more rivers to paddle.

Well, I don't think I'm really all that brave, but I'm with you on the last
two points, Mike! I GOTTA get on the water for a soul-fulfilling long
distance class 2-3 trip soon. In fact, I've been thinking about emailing you
and seeing if you want to look at some northern Canada excursion for the
last 2 weeks of this summer..? I get done my summer school classes around
July 19, and I'll have until about August 10 before I need to be in Congo.
I'd be up for coming over the pond to do some tripping. I was thinking of 4
people in 3 boats; do something remote, without too many people...wanna
start thinking that way?

--riverman

Bruiser

"riverman" wrote (snip)

Thanks for the amazing story riverman. I was glad that there was no gunplay
in this one.

Catching even one fish is awesome in strange conditions like that.

bruce h

Mike McCrea

"riverman" wrote

I'd be up for coming over the pond to do some tripping. I was thinking of 4
people in 3 boats; do something remote, without too many people...wanna
start thinking that way?

We're already hoping and planning for a family trip out west next
summer. Diane will be finished with grad school classes and we haven't
been out west with the boys in several years.

We're considering floating a section of the Green in Utah and then
swinging up into Wyoming/Montana before heading back east on some
route up top.

But if I don't get moving soon on the house and shop renovations I'll
more likely end up spending mext summer hanging drywall :-(