Chris

Default final kayak decision

Thanks for all the help everyone has offered with my first kayak purchase. I
have decided to go with an inflatable for easy transport and storage (one
bedroom apartment).

I have narrowed it down to the Sevylor Eskimo and the Advanced Elements
Airframe. I am looking for some help with this final decision. Does anyone
have any experience with either of these. Here are the pros and cons of each
from the research I have done.

Eskimo
- A little more streamlined (longer, same width as Airframe).
- Comes with skirt and pump.
- $400 new, marked down substantially from original price at REI.

Airframe
- Does not come with skirt or pump.
- $295 new on Ebay.

The cost of shipping would be added to both of these prices as there is no REI
near me. I do not know too much about pumps or skirts, but from what I have
seen they would bump up the price significantly, plus an REI employee told me
that the Eskimo would be a little faster, especially in the water where I will
be using it. All things considered I am leaning toward the Eskimo as it seems
to be a better value and a better kayak. Any comments? And how about paddles,
how much should I spend as a beginner?

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

Chris

Larry Cable

In article ,
ospam (Chris) writes:

Thanks for all the help everyone has offered with my first kayak purchase. I
have decided to go with an inflatable for easy transport and storage (one
bedroom apartment).

I have narrowed it down to the Sevylor Eskimo and the Advanced Elements
Airframe. I am looking for some help with this final decision. Does anyone
have any experience with either of these. Here are the pros and cons of each
from the research I have done.

Eskimo

I suggest that any buyer of inflatables check out the FAQ page at
www.theboatpeople.com

They have a ton of information about fabric and construction and some general
comments about most major makers of IK's. I'm not associated with this company
in any way, but I find most of their comments right on the money.

I haven't tried either of these boats, but a couple of observations. Sterns
boats that I have seen all use boston style valves, which are pieces of crap,
and it does not allow the boat to be inflated to the same pressure as some of
the top end boats. Sterns doesn't recommend a very high operating pressure
anyway. So this boat will
flex and that decreases performance. The Airframe boats are reported to be very
stiff
and handle pretty well. Neither of these boats have been out long enough to
have any real idea about durablity, but my money is still on the Airframe.

Mary, both of these boats are touring model inflatables that are decked and
designed to be used with a skirt. The Airframe boat is a hybrid, with a metal
frame
in the bow and stern to sharpen the entry and exit and stiffen the boat. Still
need a pump for both boats.

SYOTR
Larry C.