Mary Malmros

Default final kayak decision

ospam (Chris) writes:

[snip]
Eskimo
- A little more streamlined (longer, same width as Airframe).
- Comes with skirt and pump.
- $400 new, marked down substantially from original price at REI.

Airframe
- Does not come with skirt or pump.
- $295 new on Ebay.

The cost of shipping would be added to both of these prices as there is no REI
near me. I do not know too much about pumps or skirts, but from what I have
seen they would bump up the price significantly,

You can't get by without a pump -- how do you plan to inflate it?
As for a skirt, most inflatables don't need one.

plus an REI employee told me
that the Eskimo would be a little faster, especially in the water where I will
be using it. All things considered I am leaning toward the Eskimo as it seems
to be a better value and a better kayak. Any comments?

Neither one will rocket right along, I wouldn't expect much
difference in performance.

And how about paddles,
how much should I spend as a beginner?

Well, think of it like a computer keyboard. If you send two 50-word
emails a week, you can get by with any ol' keyboard. If you use it
a lot, a crappy keyboard will be slow and frustrating to work with,
and may end up in you having a repetitive stress injury.

--
Mary Malmros

Some days you're the windshield,
Other days you're the bug.