Alex McGruer

Default Kayak to rack, hull up or hull down?

(Randy Hodges) wrote in message . com...
"Rocky Rinker" wrote After giving up on the
foam block substitute for a rack, we've decided to
buy a rack. I have heard competing opinions about the best way to
mount/attach the kayaks to the crossbars.

The boats are plastic, recreational kayaks.

Many plastic recreational kayaks will have a tendency to distort if
they are tied to any rack system very hard and very long. On the
other hand, they will generally regain their shape after a little
while in the sun.

I have had good luck by using a kayak stacker (it puts the boats on
their side) and by securing them with a cam strap that is firm but not
torqued too much. You should re-check your load after a few miles in
any case.

Randy

I carry three boats on a VW Golf and two on a Jetta. an NDK, a P&H and
a Sealution, all sea boats.
The NDK is strengthned to do rescues and be carried upside down. This
boat you can carry just about any way you want . The Sealution will
bend to hell on a rack , the P & H is pretty stiff.
I carry all on them in J saddles on the Golf and on foam blocks with
the Jetta. I prefer the saddles. They support the boat well and none
of my plastic boats have been hurt by them.
They grace the lid of my car all year around because the regularly see
use, even in winter.
I would recommend J saddles and if you can't get them check out what
the manufacturer recommends. Nigel Dennis recommends carrying his
upside down but they are pretty heavy and the glass is well; a little
over the top. You can put that boat on grass and walk along the top
deck and not worry about damaging anything.
The Thule J saddles are not very good though. They rust and have some
other issues.
Walt

Rocky Rinker wrote:

After giving up on the foam block substitute for a rack, we've decided to
buy a rack. I have heard competing opinions about the best way to
mount/attach the kayaks to the crossbars. A guide we know said we should
mount the kayaks with the hulls up. He contends the boats will not be
distorted and will ride better. Another person told us to use saddles and
mount the boats hulls-down.

What do members of the group recomend?

The boats are plastic, recreational kayaks.

Hull up. Keeps the rain out of the cockpit.

We're talking plastic boats here - don't overthink this, it's not that
critical.

--
//-Walt
//