Oci-One Kanubi

Default Please tell me about the NY Salmon

One kind soul advised me that the Salmon WILL be getting 750 cfs
releases on Saturday 8/30 and Sunday 8/31 (thanks, Mike Shafer!)

Now, I'd like to know the logistics:

Where can I camp nearby?

Where's the put-in?

Where's the take-out?

How long's the shuttle (time, not distance)?

Where are the best inexpensive places to eat nearby? Dinner, for
sure, and breakfast would be nice, and maybe even a place to buy fresh
bagels for my river lunch.

What are the release hours? Specifically, what time does the water
reach the put-in, and how long does the release last?

Is there a web site where I can confirm the release on Thursday, to
save me a 12-hour (or more) drive on Friday if the release should be
cancelled?

What have I not asked that I should have?

AW is pretty sketchy on the NY Salmon. I think nothing of trying
rivers with no beta whatsoever, but I am trying to con a coupla
friends into riding up there with me, so I'd hate to drag them all
that way for a bad experience.

And, speaking of conning my friends, the offer's open: anyone from NC,
VA, MD, or PA wanna ride up there with me? I'll leave Winston-Salem
around 6:00 AM Friday. Take US-29 to I-66 at Gainesville, VA, round
the Beltway and get to my house in Rockville, MD shortly after 2:00
PM. Then out I-270 to Frederick, up US-15 to Harrisburg, then I-81
all the way to camp (somewhere between Syracuse and the river, I would
hope; I know a campground in Watertown, but I'd hate to have to drive
so far). I expect to get into camp atound 9:00 or 10:00 PM. If you
can meet me anywhere along that route, I can take three passengers
comfortably on roadtrips. First one to contact me gets first dibs on
the second bunk in my van; the other two have to pitch tents. I plan
to boat Saturday and Sunday and drive home on Monday (maybe get a few
miles down the road Sunday evening, unless the tent-campers wanna stay
put for one more night).

Thanks,

--
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty

Richard Hopley, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net 1-301-775-0471
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll.
rhople[at]wfubmc[dot]edu 1-336-713-5077
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters.
Mike Shafer

Answers to your questions within:

"Oci-One Kanubi" wrote in message
om..
One kind soul advised me that the Salmon WILL be getting 750 cfs
releases on Saturday 8/30 and Sunday 8/31 (thanks, Mike Shafer!)

Now, I'd like to know the logistics:
Where can I camp nearby?

Stoney's Pineville Campground
....on same road (Rt 13) you are taking to the Rt 2a put-in.
For directions:
http://www.salmonriver.net/stoneymap.htm
His website lists higher rates, but if you tell him you are a kayaker and
a friend of FLOW (our local paddling club www.flowpaddlers.org) he only
charges $5/night.

Where's the put-in?

Best place to put-in is at a place called "compactor".
From Rt 81 take exit #36, for Rt 13. (approx 35 miles north of Syracuse)
Turn right, going east on Rt. 36.
Approx 1 mile make a left turn onto Rt 2a.
Approx 1/10 of a mile you are on a bridge crossing the Salmon.
Turn right , just over the bridge, into the parking lot/DEC access site...
....you can see it looking right (upstream) from the bridge.

Where's the take-out?

You have to drive through town, to a place called Black Hole.
People in town could direct you there, but there should be no problem
hooking up for a shuttle from the put-in lot.

How long's the shuttle (time, not distance)?

About 10 minutes, each way.

Where are the best inexpensive places to eat nearby? Dinner, for
sure, and breakfast would be nice, and maybe even a place to buy fresh
bagels for my river lunch.

There is a Ponderosa right at the Rt 81 / Rt 13 intersection...has a good
breakfast buffet.
C&M Diner, right accross the street, is a good sit down breakfast.
Going West on Rt 13, from Rt 81, there is a wood shingled Pizza place, that
has many more fine meals.
And also going west on Rt 13 is a P&C supermarket - for sure they sell
bagels.

What are the release hours? Specifically, what time does the water
reach the put-in, and how long does the release last?

The water will be running all day Saturday and Sunday (ovenight too).
They ramp it up on Friday, and back down late Sunday.

Is there a web site where I can confirm the release on Thursday, to
save me a 12-hour (or more) drive on Friday if the release should be
cancelled?

Yep - waterline has a Flo-cast for the salmon.
The info online now acertains the release...their website also lists phone
and river code too.
http://www.h2oline.com/365123.asp

What have I not asked that I should have?

The salmon is a fun class 2/3 play river. The river escalates as you go,
with the best play
as you pass the firemans field, and then along the section below town.
One noted play hole, "Titanic" is on this part below town.
Nothing you need to get out and scout - you can boat scout the entire run.
Just be sure to recognize and take out at the Black Hole. Otherwise you
have to paddle the river out to Lake ontario.

Have fun!

[...]

Oci-One Kanubi

"Mike Shafer" typed:

Answers to your questions within:

[lotsa good dope snipped]

Thanks, Mike. That's wonderful.

-Richard

It's local opening of Salmon season, so I am going boating! Calif Bill General 5 April 6th 04 07:12 AM
Speaking of Salmon Fishing Gould 0738 General 6 November 15th 03 05:57 AM
Fish Farming Bill Cole General 2 September 7th 03 05:43 PM
The Appeal of the Main and Lower Salmon Charles Pezeshki General 2 August 21st 03 09:51 PM
Any more Salmon (NY) releases this year? Oci-One Kanubi General 2 August 20th 03 05:55 PM