BoatBanter.com

-   -   DEFENDING THE HONOR OF MY PELICAN/COLEMAN CANOE! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/13307-defending-honor-my-pelican-coleman-canoe.html)

Bob August 22nd 03 11:59 PM

DEFENDING THE HONOR OF MY PELICAN/COLEMAN CANOE!

Geesh... ever meet a fisherman that goes trolling and then is upset because
he hooks a few fish?

I believe most all here at rec.boats.paddle are not the least bit snobbish.
If you're having a good time, we're all happy. But you brought all this on
yourself when you started this thread. What did you expect?

Why don't you head over to the auto enthusiasts' newsgroup and proclaim that
you've decided a Yugo is the ultimate car for you, and anyone that suggests
an American/Japanese/European car might be better is just a snob and a fool?
Do you think they'd applaud you?

I'm honestly happy that you are so happy with your boat. It's fun to buy
something that really satisfies. It's fun to get out on the water and
paddle.

Why would you possibly be upset that people would like to see you have a
better boat and enjoy it MORE? That's what I see happening here.... people
are suggesting how you might get even more fun and satisfaction for your
dollar spent, and you're calling them snobs.

If you were my neighbor, I'd let you test-paddle my canoes. I'm sure you'd
change your mind on the snobbery thing. I'd help you find a deal on a good
used boat too.

Good paddling,
Bob Scott

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message
On 20 Aug 2003 02:36:43 GMT, ospam (Larry Cable) wrote:

Give it up, I'm very familar with your canoe.

Give it up, you're a "boat snob" and a liar.

In the prior posting , Larry
wrote:

Last post on this thread, since you don't seem inclined to be civil.

If you actually think it is a wonderful
performing boat, then you haven't ever tried a real canoe.

If you'll recall, it is a wonderful performing boat FOR THE PURPOSES I USE

IT
FOR - fishing and fla****er paddling. I am not now, never will be, and

never
have been interested in canoe racing or whitewater riding - I don't NEED

vee-hulled, extreme rockered, ultralight boat costing several thousand

dollars,
nor do I want such a boat!

Garrison Hilliard August 23rd 03 09:04 PM

DEFENDING THE HONOR OF MY PELICAN/COLEMAN CANOE!

On 23 Aug 2003 19:18:51 GMT, (William R. Watt) wrote:

But hey, as far as I'm concerned, a Coleman is a waste of money when you
can buy a couple sheets of 1/4 inch plywood, a tube of PL Premium, a box
of screws, and make your own boat for under $100. My last two boats were
made of one sheet of plywood each and cost less than $25 Canadian per
boat. One is a paddlign boat, the other is a sailing boat. And they suit
my purposes to a "t".

Well, if it fits your purposes well, it's the boat for you!

Personally, I thought about making my own canoe, but the durablity,
fixablity, and low purchase price made me pick a polyethelene Pelican craft.

p.s. Plus it was a lot less work for me!

Lloyd Bowles August 24th 03 02:42 AM

DEFENDING THE HONOR OF MY PELICAN/COLEMAN CANOE!

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote...
(William R. Watt) wrote:

My last two boats were
made of one sheet of plywood each and cost less than $25 Canadian per
boat. One is a paddlign boat, the other is a sailing boat. And they suit
my purposes to a "t".

Well, if it fits your purposes well, it's the boat for you!

Personally, I thought about making my own canoe, but the durablity,
fixablity, and low purchase price made me pick a polyethelene Pelican

craft.

I consider the Coleman to be just about the worst canoe in existence, but it
was the right canoe for a well known canoeist & author for a solo trip in
Canada's far north. Yes, it was a real dog in the water & too awkward &
heavy to carry on long portages. On the positive side, he could buy it
cheap in Yellowknife at the start of the trip. The portages were muskeg, so
he just dragged it. It slid well & he wasn't worried about damage. The end
of the trip was very remote & the cost to fly a canoe out would have been a
few $K. So he sold it dirt cheap at a native community.

Lloyd Bowles
www.madcanoeist.4ever.cc

Oci-One Kanubi August 25th 03 12:08 AM

DEFENDING THE HONOR OF MY PELICAN/COLEMAN CANOE!

"Garrison Hilliard" typed:

"Bob" wrote:
Coleman's sell to cottage owners who have more sense than
your trend following "canoeist".

No... Coleman sells to people that a a) ignorant of canoe design, and/or,
b) so cheap all they care about is the price.

Guess again, monkey-boy!

If you're still happy with your Coleman after a lifetime of use, you deserve
it. (Just don't paddle a "real" canoe for a day and ruin your grand
illusion.)

I have no illusions... I sinply have an inexpansive canoe that fits my needs perfectly (I just used it to circumnavigate and
fish the 188 acres of "Winton Woods Lake"... it was the perfect boat to slip over those mud flats and submerged logs).

You could easily buy a decent used canoe for the price of the Coleman that
will outperform and outlast it.

Prove it.

I think the original post was just a troll, anyhow....

Since it seems that I'm not...

Er, ah... it may seem to YOU that yer not. To the world at large, you
show all the classic signs.

--
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty

Richard Hopley, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net 1-301-775-0471
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll.
rhople[at]wfubmc[dot]edu 1-336-713-5077
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters.

Garrison Hilliard July 11th 04 06:09 PM

DEFENDING THE HONOR OF MY PELICAN/COLEMAN CANOE!

Stroyer wrote:

Oh, and then there's my canoe... it's not the fastest, the easiest
turning, it's not the lightest, and I'm still pretty new to the sport...
but I still have had a blast with my Green Pelican Explorer. It's
probably not the best at anything (but the cooler IS cool)...
but it works .... and I enjoy it. Isn't that what it's all about?
I thought it was.

I just used my lovely $279 Pelican Explorer at the Paddlefest and it
performed like a true champion, carrying myself, my bicycle, and the
oodles of promo stuff I'd gathered safely and stably down the wide Ohio,
passing many "yuppie schooners" along the way. Granted, my canoe wasn't
the first to make landfall at Cincinnati's Public Landing, but it sure
wasn't the last one to do so, either!