BoatBanter.com

-   -   DEFENDING THE HONOR OF MY PELICAN/COLEMAN CANOE! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/13307-defending-honor-my-pelican-coleman-canoe.html)

Garrison Hilliard August 20th 03 01:57 AM

DEFENDING THE HONOR OF MY PELICAN/COLEMAN CANOE!

ospam (Larry Cable) wrote in message ...

But you practically said it was in your opening remark!

I think you're missing the point.

And I know that you are.

The buyers of coleman canoes are generally
just like the buyers of Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks, first time buyers with
little experience or knowledge of boat performance or durablity.

Maybe generally, but I in no way fit your assumption (when you
assume...)! I'm
an experienced boater/sailor who wanted a boat that was tough and
suited for what I wanted to do with it (fishing, park lake paddling,
minor river travel) qand the Pelican "Explorer" fit the bill! I've
used it many times and have
absolutely zilcho, nada, the big goose egg complaints about the
canoe... why are you striving so hard to say that I should?

You don't have
to drop thousands of dollars for a decent boat and for a few hundred more than
these economy boats, you can get a boat that will perform and last a lifetime.

Who says my "Explorer" won't?

Take a Mohawk Nova 17, this boat list for $820 dollars direct from Mohawk and
is a far superior boat in all ways to
the Coleman. You can generally pick up the Old Town Discovery series boat for
a couple hundred under that price. While I find the extra weight of Poly hull a
bit cumbersome, the hull design on these boats are decent and the outfitting is
fair if you stay away from the plastic tractor seats.

So for twice and a half times what I paid for my boat, I can get a.
larger-than-I-wanted canoe made of similar materials with inferior
seats? Gee, thanks!

I've had this same discussion on the inflatable side about Sea Eagles and
others.
But no matter what is said in their defense, the boat is slow, it doesn't
really have a self bailing system and the construction method is suspect. For
pretty close to the same money, you can get a far superior boat from someone
like Innova.

Which has squat to to with Pelican/Coleman canoes versus canoe snobs.

Do the research before you buy. You don't have to accept a poor performing boat
just because you are on a budget.

Nor do I have to purchase an over-priced boat to paddle just because
some fudgehead assumes that he knows what I want my boat for!

Garrison Hilliard August 20th 03 03:15 AM

DEFENDING THE HONOR OF MY PELICAN/COLEMAN CANOE!

"Bob" wrote:
Coleman's sell to cottage owners who have more sense than
your trend following "canoeist".

No... Coleman sells to people that a a) ignorant of canoe design, and/or,
b) so cheap all they care about is the price.

Guess again, monkey-boy!

If you're still happy with your Coleman after a lifetime of use, you deserve
it. (Just don't paddle a "real" canoe for a day and ruin your grand
illusion.)

I have no illusions... I sinply have an inexpansive canoe that fits my needs perfectly (I just used it to circumnavigate and
fish the 188 acres of "Winton Woods Lake"... it was the perfect boat to slip over those mud flats and submerged logs).

You could easily buy a decent used canoe for the price of the Coleman that
will outperform and outlast it.

Prove it.

I think the original post was just a troll, anyhow....

Since it seems that I'm not...

Garrison Hilliard August 20th 03 05:16 AM

On 20 Aug 2003 02:36:43 GMT, in rec.boats.paddle you wrote:

Nor do I have to purchase an over-priced boat to paddle just because
some fudgehead assumes that he knows what I want my boat for!

So what you are really saying is that you are a pinhead that is spouting off
about something you don't know squat about.

Not at all... if you look back on this thread, you'll note that I make several
very good arguments about purchasing a canoe that is sufficient
for the tasks I plan on using it for, that I am a seasoned boater,
and that I am very happy with my canoe. Hopefully, you can also discern
from looking at this thread that you're now proving yourself an ass by
replying to my message with an ad-hominem remark rather than admitting
that (for my purposes) the Pelican/Coleman canoe is a good choice.

If you are happy paddling a plastic
trashcan with an aluminum frame out of a lawn chair, more power to you.

You're obviously not familiar with the Pelican Explorer canoe, also.

Last post on this thread, since you don't seem inclined to be civil.

I agree with your actions... shut up.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of stupid people.

And, as has been proven in this case, you're one of them.

Oci-One Kanubi August 20th 03 05:43 PM

DEFENDING THE HONOR OF MY PELICAN/COLEMAN CANOE!

ospam (Larry Cable) typed:

In article ,

(Garrison Hilliard) writes:

Nor do I have to purchase an over-priced boat to paddle just because
some fudgehead assumes that he knows what I want my boat for!

So what you are really saying is that you are a pinhead that is spouting off
about something you don't know squat about. If you are happy paddling a plastic
trashcan with an aluminum frame out of a lawn chair, more power to you.

Last post on this thread, since you don't seem inclined to be civil.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of stupid people.

Give it up, Larry; this guy shows five of the classic signs of a
troll:

1) Posts a strongly worded message in support of the minority position
on a (not really very) controversial issue.

2) Preempts any reasonable discussion by declaring at the outset that
everyone who might disagree is a "canoe snob".

3) Completely twists yer statements to "prove" his point (e.g., you
typed "is it ok...sure", and he twisted that into "you admitted it is
the best for the job".

4) Won't give an inch, even where he is obviously wrong. E. g., he
won't reply to my message since he can't flame me (because I agreed
with him that the Coleman may, indeed, be the best boat for his
purposes) yet he cannot admit that the Coleman might be woefully
inadequate for many other people and purposes.

5) Starts cussing out everyone who disagrees with him.

He is not interested in discussion, he will not engage in civil
dialog, and you did the right thing when you bailed out of his thread.
I, too, am outta here; life's too short to squander many minutes on
trolls.

--
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty

Richard Hopley, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net 1-301-775-0471
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll.
rhople[at]wfubmc[dot]edu 1-336-713-5077
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters.

Garrison Hilliard August 20th 03 07:54 PM

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote:
I have no illusions... I sinply have an inexpansive canoe that fits my needs perfectly (I just used it to circumnavigate and
fish the 188 acres of "Winton Woods Lake"... it was the perfect boat to slip over those mud flats and submerged logs).

Just a little clarification here about Winton Woods - the info is at http://www.hamiltoncountyparks.org/parks/winton_woods/

I think the original post was just a troll, anyhow....

It wasn't.

Bob August 20th 03 09:56 PM

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote:
Coleman's sell to cottage owners who have more sense than
your trend following "canoeist".

No... Coleman sells to people that a a) ignorant of canoe design,

and/or,
b) so cheap all they care about is the price.

Guess again, monkey-boy!

I don't know you (or care to) but I get the impression you are an a**hole
that deserves to spend life paddling a crappy canoe.

Good paddling to you,
Bob

Garrison Hilliard August 21st 03 09:09 PM

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 04:16:22 +0000, Garrison Hilliard wrote:

If you are happy paddling a plastic
trashcan with an aluminum frame out of a lawn chair, more power to you.

You're obviously not familiar with the Pelican Explorer canoe, also.

Just to let you know, my canoe is VERY similar to the one found at

http://www.pelican-intl.com/page.asp...rID-10_sPos-0;

except that believe that my boat has a slightly flatter bottom and is termed an
"Explorer".

p.s. And yes, I LIKE and have used the used the little cooler at midships!

Larry Cable August 22nd 03 11:11 AM

writes:

You're obviously not familiar with the Pelican Explorer canoe, also.

Just to let you know, my canoe is VERY similar to the one found at

Give it up, I'm very familar with your canoe. I've been pulling these things
out of rivers for almost 25 years. It's a thin poly boat reinforced with
aluminum tubing. The only thing that these boats have going for them is that
they are just about the cheapest canoe you can buy. If that is your only
concern, then why bother posting. If you actually think it is a wonderful
performing boat, then you haven't ever tried a real canoe.

A quick web search can give you a dozen canoes that are within $150 dollars of
the retail on these boats. Many of these are far superior canoes in both
durability and performance. Why do you think that these are marketed to what
amounts to the non-paddling public? Because anyone that has done a bit of
research and demoed a few boats, or has paddling experience, doesn't buy them.

SYOTR
Larry C.

Mike McCrea August 22nd 03 03:00 PM

ospam (Larry Cable) wrote:

Give it up, I'm very familar with your canoe. I've been pulling these things
out of rivers for almost 25 years. It's a thin poly boat reinforced with
aluminum tubing.

Larry,

That it probably is. I'm all too familiar with Coleman's and agree
with your assessment of their design and performance.

However, I noted in the latest issue of Paddle Dealer that Pelican is
comeing out with two new "touring" canoes with a foam-core composition
(RamXcel) and - drum roll please - NO clumsy aluminum armature.

So far, so good. Unfortunately, from what I've seen in photos of the
new Pelican line, the same basic "stackable" hull shape has been
retained to facilitate shipping the boats nestled.

And these improved Pelicans will be considerably more expensive than
the previous aluminum-armature versions. The 15' Coleman/Pelican with
the aluminum frame was routinely sold for $250. The new version
Pelicans MSRP at $449 for the 14 footer and $549 for the 16 footer.
Given the still inefficient "stackable" hull design the same amount of
money will continue to buy a far better designed used canoe made by
Dagger, Old Town, Mad River, Mohawk, etc.

Garrison Hilliard August 22nd 03 06:07 PM

On 20 Aug 2003 02:36:43 GMT, ospam (Larry Cable) wrote:

Give it up, I'm very familar with your canoe.

Give it up, you're a "boat snob" and a liar.

In the prior posting , Larry
wrote:

Last post on this thread, since you don't seem inclined to be civil.

If you actually think it is a wonderful
performing boat, then you haven't ever tried a real canoe.

If you'll recall, it is a wonderful performing boat FOR THE PURPOSES I USE IT
FOR - fishing and fla****er paddling. I am not now, never will be, and never
have been interested in canoe racing or whitewater riding - I don't NEED a
vee-hulled, extreme rockered, ultralight boat costing several thousand dollars,
nor do I want such a boat!