Default Beginner's Kayak Purchase

My wifa and I are looking to buy a couple of inexpensive starter kayaks,
under the $400 price. We will be doing mostly quiet rivers and
back-waters but may occasionally deal with class II rapids or open lake
water, and if we are lucky, the Gulf of Mexico to play in the waves.
Primarily, however, the quiet water and rarely up to class II rapids,
figguring if we want mor, we can rent.

I looked at the Old Town Otter. Would that be a good choice, or can
anyone recommend something else? Budget really is an issue right now, so
buying a more expensive boat to "grow into" is not feasable. Thanks for
any help.