Mike Bailey

Default No Reverse...

Hi all, I have a 1958 Skagit runabout, a 14 footer, native to
Washington state. It has a 1966 Merc 65EL, which runs very nicely.

When I got the boat, the previous owner had lifted the control box up
to a point just below deck, so he could sit up on the seat, and look
over the windshield.

This summer, I dismantled the control box, taking care to notice the
order of assembly, and moved it back down to it's factory position.

Everything seemed to work, but I noticed the control does not shift
into reverse. The control lever will move through range of travel, and
throttle will increase, but it feels resistant, and never engages.
What have I done?

Will Arnold be elected?

Hmmm.

Thanks for any responses.

SaxMike
Tuuk

If it is an electric shift drive, you may have did something to the contacts
or mechanism that allows the 12v to switch to the reverse. There is a clutch
coil also on the bottom of the drive, that has a little tab at the end of
it, this is very common to break and you will lose your reverse or forward.
Looks like a slinky, and the last say 1/4inch is bent out and that piece can
break.

"Mike Bailey" wrote in message
Hi all, I have a 1958 Skagit runabout, a 14 footer, native to
Washington state. It has a 1966 Merc 65EL, which runs very nicely.

When I got the boat, the previous owner had lifted the control box up
to a point just below deck, so he could sit up on the seat, and look
over the windshield.

This summer, I dismantled the control box, taking care to notice the
order of assembly, and moved it back down to it's factory position.

Everything seemed to work, but I noticed the control does not shift
into reverse. The control lever will move through range of travel, and
throttle will increase, but it feels resistant, and never engages.
What have I done?

Will Arnold be elected?

Hmmm.

Thanks for any responses.

SaxMike

Clams Canino

Looks like I got here just in time. sigh

We're talking a 1966 Merc here. LOL

What you need to do is disconnect the shift cable at the motor end and
VERIFY that you can shift it thru F-N-R by hand. Have a helper rotate the
prop as you try reverse, it can't go in inless there is rotation. (note:
I'm assumong the motor is not started - LOL)

LIGHTBBULB! : When you tried reverse - was it running?? If not, that might
be your whole problem. Either the motor has to be running OR someone needs
to spin the prop - a static shift into reverse isn't possible. Perhaps all
is ok.........

To move on.........

Now, assuming that your outboard shifts OK manually. You need to assume
that you, in fact, bunged up the shifter mech when you took it apart to move
it.

Now you need to ask yourself: Do you think you're qualified to straighten
it out? Prolly not based on how it got that way. (not meant as an insult -
just cutting to the chase) So...... What I'd do is find a mechanic that
KNOWS the old stuff and have him correctly reassemble your shifter.

You'll be able to take solace in the fact that your lower unit is OK.
Fixing a lower unit is a lot more expensive then fixing a controller.

-W

(nothing relevant)