Tim Tim is offline

Default The Ram Manassas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS_Manassas

Seeing I've had several ancestors who fought in the civil war, I'm
always intrigued with the effectiveness ( good or bad) of primitive
war machinery especially the iron clad vessels.

The "Rams" were amazing creations. It seem the Manassas especially
stands out - 143 ft. long and 33 ft. wide and carrying a cannon that
could hurl a 62 lb. shot not counting the 40 ft. iron spike to poke
holes in the hulls of the wooden ships...

I can't imagine being in a semi-submersible with little ventilation, a
cannon, a steam engine and no sound proofing as cannon balls violently
hitting the deck. I'd think that if the percussion (even from within)
didn't get you, the heat would. Even bracing for the ram could be
quite injurious, I'd think. All in all, I'm sure the whole crew was
eventually deaf.

Interesting portion of the Wiki link: "Manassas then ran into
murderous fire from the whole line of the Union fleet. She then
charged USS Mississippi and delivered a long glancing blow on her
hull, firing her only gun as she rammed. " Amazingly it survived only
to run aground and get pounded to it's death.

Another good article that has some layouts of the hull ....

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...r/manassas.htm

"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Reply:
The reason there was impressment on the high seas leading to unhappiness
with England was the gunnery crews all went deaf and had to be replaced as
they could not hear commands.

Tim Tim is offline

On May 29, 1:08*pm, "Califbill" wrote:

[...]

i can believe that..... Didn't those guys ever hear (pardon the pun)
of cotton balls for ear protection?

On Sat, 28 May 2011 11:14:29 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

[...]

Tim, you may enjoy these, if you can stand a little fiction:

http://historicnavalfiction.com/inde...le-index/g/655

http://historicnavalfiction.com/inde...le-index/t/656

On May 29, 4:26*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

looks interesting, John. I'll see what's available on Amazon etc.
Thanks!

On Sun, 29 May 2011 18:41:37 -0700 (PDT), TopBassDog wrote:

On May 29, 4:26*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

Hell, don't buy 'em! That's why God created libraries!

On May 29, 4:26*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

No idiot. That's called public funding.
Tim Tim is offline

On May 29, 4:26*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

John, those books look cool. I'll be looking for them too. But one
disappointment I have is that the only public library we have is 10 mi
away, and you have to live in the town to use it with any
effectiveness. So I'll be scouting on amazon or ebay too.

Now If I could find the time to read them.....

On May 29, 4:26*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

OK, here's an idea that'll save you time. You order them on Amazon and have them sent to me. I'll
read them and tell you the ending. That'll save you a *bunch* of time!
Tim Tim is offline

On May 29, 4:26*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

LOL! That just might work...

Ram air Bertie the Bunyip[_2_] ASA 0 June 5th 08 01:56 AM
Ram air Bertie the Bunyip[_2_] ASA 0 June 4th 08 06:35 AM
Ram air Bertie the Bunyip[_2_] ASA 0 June 4th 08 06:33 AM
Ram air Bertie the Bunyip[_2_] ASA 0 June 4th 08 04:14 AM
Ram Island Light - Ram Island Light.jpg (1/1) Tony Nazar Tall Ship Photos 0 March 15th 08 08:25 PM