Junior Member

Location: South Carolina Lowcountry
Default 1997 25 HP Mariner fuel feed problem(pump?)

My '97 Mariner 25 HP starts and runs fine. Then the fuel level in the filter bowl starts changing pretty quickly. It will drop half way then fill back up, repeating this over and over 'til it finally drops too far and the motor runs out of gas and shuts down. I pump the bulb to re-fill the bowl and it starts right back up and does the same thing again.
If I rev the engine, it just does it quicker.

Help!

Thanks, Freddy Tebeau

On 5/23/2011 10:17 PM, Freddy Tebeau wrote:
My '97 Mariner 25 HP starts and runs fine. Then the fuel level in the
filter bowl starts changing pretty quickly. It will drop half way then
fill back up, repeating this over and over 'til it finally drops too far
and the motor runs out of gas and shuts down. I pump the bulb to re-fill
the bowl and it starts right back up and does the same thing again.
If I rev the engine, it just does it quicker.

Help!

Thanks, Freddy Tebeau

You might have a blockage in the pickup screen in the tank, or pin holes
in the pickup tube, or a collapsing fuel line or leaking fitting, or a
bad fuel pump diaphragm, or a gummed up needle and seat in the
carburetor. Needle and seat is the most likely culprit.