Default Johnson VRO fuel pump problem

I've narrowed it all down to the pump. After a cleaning, performance
was much better. It was bogging at WOT, but recovering and staying
with a little help from the choke or bulb.
So if anyone could advise... Will a rebuild kit solve the weak pump
problem? The rubber diaphram seemed flimsy and stretched a bit, but
I've never seen a new one either. Otherwise, if I need to get a new
pump all together, will any VRO work? I've read that the newer ones
are better, so if they work I'll go for one.
This engine has the oil input capped and clamped and I mix 50/1. I'll
keep it that way for better reliability. Also, since I won't be using
the oil side of this pump is there another Johnson pump altogther that
can take the place of this VRO? Any links or part numbers would be
very helpful! Thanks again-

Member

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've narrowed it all down to the pump. After a cleaning, performance
was much better. It was bogging at WOT, but recovering and staying
with a little help from the choke or bulb.

So if anyone could advise... Will a rebuild kit solve the weak pump
problem? The rubber diaphram seemed flimsy and stretched a bit, but
I've never seen a new one either. Otherwise, if I need to get a new
pump all together, will any VRO work? I've read that the newer ones
are better, so if they work I'll go for one.

Here is a link to the VRO story that may help you understand the system.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

Bill Grannis
service manager

Thanks! I just got back in from a long test run. Now we're at Carb
rebuilds, new plugs, switched to Johnson brand oil 50/1, cleaned fuel
pump and replaced fuel filter. For the first time ever since I've
owned this boat, it will take WOT !!! Very nice for a change. I'm
still going to rebuild the fuel pump side since that seems to have
been the problem all along. Other than that, generally running nice
and smooth now ( still occasionally bogs if I throttle too fast, but
catches right up in a sec ).

Senior Member

On May 28, 2:33 pm, wrote:
Thanks! I just got back in from a long test run. Now we're at Carb
rebuilds, new plugs, switched to Johnson brand oil 50/1, cleaned fuel
pump and replaced fuel filter. For the first time ever since I've
owned this boat, it will take WOT !!! Very nice for a change. I'm
still going to rebuild the fuel pump side since that seems to have
been the problem all along. Other than that, generally running nice
and smooth now ( still occasionally bogs if I throttle too fast, but
catches right up in a sec ).

Good God man, what are you doing here when your engine is running..
dope.. go back to the water!