Lloyd Sumpter

Default New engine for Far Cove

Hi,

As soon as I sell the appt, I'm repowering Far Cove (36ft sailboat).
The existing engine is old, tired and underpowered. 21hp is NOT ENOUGH for
a 36-ft boat!
However, I don't have a lot of space, so I need something that's about
the same size, but hopefully more power, and also hopefully as quiet,
smooth, and reliable as the ol' M25 has been!

Options I'm looking at:

1. Universal M25XPB: 26hp, pretty much exact, drop-in replacement.
Basically the same engine, bored/stroked a bit to get an extra 5 hp.

2. Westerbeke 35D: 31hp, 3" longer. Have to build a new engine cover, but I
THINK I could shoehorn this in. I think this is the engine the new C36's
have.

3. Volvo MD2030: 29hp, slightly larger. Probably an easy fit, size-wise,
but I would expect mods to engine mounts, exhaust, etc.

Comments? In particular, would the Volvo be quieter/smoother than the
Universal or Westerbeke? Any other options/mfrs I should be looking at?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

LaBomba182

Subject: New engine for Far Cove
From: "Lloyd Sumpter"

I'd lean toward the Westerbeke.

Capt. Bill
Maynard G. Krebbs

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:17:23 -0700, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

[...]

Sorry I can't help with your problem LLoyd. I wanted to mention that
rebuilding your engine mounting stringers might not be a bad idea
after this long of a time no matter which engine you choose. Sorry if
I'm bringing up the obvious. )
Mark Williams
Lloyd Sumpter

From: "Lloyd Sumpter"

I'd lean toward the Westerbeke.

Capt. Bill

Hmmmm...I was leaning towards the Volvo, since I had the impression it had
a better reputation than Universal/Westerbeke and was easier to get get
parts (and it's the most HP that will fit in the existing space).

If I go Universal/Westerbeke, I'm torn between the 26hp, which would be
least expensive and easiest to install, and the 31hp, which is the most
expensive and VERY hard to install. One other advantage of the 31hp,
though: it's 4 cyl where the others are 3. I experienced one of these in a
Cat 34 last spring, and it was DEFINITELY more noise and vibration than my
M25. However, it could have been other factors like mounting, prop, bent
shaft, etc.

Any comments? Are 4-cyl noticably less vibration than 3cyl?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Wayne.B

Lloyd, I've had two different Volvo diesels on past sailboats and I
was not terribly impressed with either one. Parts and repairs are
expensive and reliability/durability was nothing to write home about.
Frankly, the most dependable and long lived sailboat aux I ever owned
was the Atomic-4 gas engine on my old Cal-34. Very reliable, very
easy to repair when it wasn't, and lots of power at 30hp. Motor
sailing at slow cruise it would run almost two days on 30 gallons of
gas.

That said, the A-4s are of course no longer available new, and many
folks are allergic to gas engines.

The small Yanmar diesels are popular here on the east coast.