Default Building a boat.

Anyone constructed their own small boat recently?
When I was a teenager My Cousins and I built a small 20 ft boat out of
cedar planks. Didn't know such things as marine plywood.
One Cousin still had the boat 15 years ago. Haven't seen him or it in
that long.
It was heavy. I don't remember the name of the little motor right off.
What new materials are available to build a small two man boat, for
fresh water these days?
I haven't done anything with hand tools in 40 years.
I know it won't be the latest and greatest but it will be built by me,
hopefully to be used by yet to be born Grand kids on farm ponds and
creeks etc.

In article , Lil Abner
says...

Anyone constructed their own small boat recently?
When I was a teenager My Cousins and I built a small 20 ft boat out of
cedar planks. Didn't know such things as marine plywood.
One Cousin still had the boat 15 years ago. Haven't seen him or it in
that long.
It was heavy. I don't remember the name of the little motor right off.
What new materials are available to build a small two man boat, for
fresh water these days?
I haven't done anything with hand tools in 40 years.
I know it won't be the latest and greatest but it will be built by me,
hopefully to be used by yet to be born Grand kids on farm ponds and
creeks etc.

You can look at my website,
http://www.smallboats.com and if you see anything there you are
interested in, let me know. All of the boats depicted there can be built
with standard hand tools by anyone with basic high school woodshop class
behind them. For you without knowing a bit more about what you are going
to use the boat for and what kind of water you will be in, I might
suggest you start he

http://smallboats.com/stanley_sie.htm

The "Scrappies" are mostly built from Framing lumber from Lowes, and
Marine plywood. If you wish you can do fiberglass over the seams and
bottom (even a rookie) with minimal effort and expense too. As to Plans
I don't sell plans for the Stanley but if you are interested in building
one, I can help you out. There are also plenty of free and otherwise
inexpensive plans and instruction manuals out there too...

Good luck. If you need more attention you can email me at

and I can address more direct questions about distributors and materials
and such...

Scotty from Smallboats.com (retired

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

On Apr 12, 12:39*am, I_am_Tosk
wrote:
In article , Lil Abner
says...

[...]

Well, where to begin. I have built two "MiniCup" sailboats from the
Stevenson project pages. Somewhere I have a web page "MiniCup
Madness" about some of my modifications to these small 12' boats.
Built a 9' 2 piece nesting dinghy called a 2-Paw-9, not entirely happy
with it cuz I think it is too heavy but it does row well. I made some
needed mods to it too.\
Then built a 20' Tolman Standard Skiff (see the FishyFish website for
more info on the Tolman).
Considered building a 38' Buehler designed "Diesel Duck" power
sailboat but he could not find a good way to reduce its draft so am
loose ends about what to build now.
Modern boatbuilding with epoxy is vastly different from wood only or
even polyester and glass.

On Apr 12, 12:39*am, I_am_Tosk
wrote:
In article , Lil Abner
says...

[...]

Tosk, those are some good lookin boats. If I used em, they'd never
stay looking that good.

On 4/12/2011 12:39 AM, I_am_Tosk wrote:
In , Lil
says...

[...]

sorry for so long to reply. The photos look great. bookmarked your
contact. that second one looks like a winner.
Soon as this episode, with Docs is over I'll drop you and email.
Thanks

Boat building vs camper building Frogwatch[_2_] General 35 February 11th 09 12:28 AM
Small boat building Yahoo group (was: Boat settles off post on William R. Watt Boat Building 0 July 22nd 04 03:56 AM
Practical Boat building 1922 vintage canoe boat book Tylwyth Boat Building 0 April 3rd 04 06:16 PM
Boat Building and 4-H Andy Touring 0 July 3rd 03 07:35 PM
Boat Building and 4-H Andy Whitewater 0 July 3rd 03 07:35 PM