Fred

Default Boat Name Changing

try this link.
http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

It works as well as any other.!

Fredo
to reply to me remove the racecar

Steve Helling

Thanks, Fred, and everyone else who replied.

Steve

"Fred" . wrote in message
try this link.
http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

It works as well as any other.!

Fredo
to reply to me remove the racecar

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Steve,
There is a short formal ceremony to change a boat's name. It has been
around for quite a long time.
- - - - -

First remove everything on the boat with the old name on it. Log books,
certificates, letters, EVERYTHING!

Next Obtain a GOOD libation. The cheap stuff will not do and possibly
insult those you are trying to appease.

Pour some libation from east to west saying the following;

Oh great God of the Sea Poseidon, We beseech you to remove "insert
boat's name" from the registry of vessels for now and all time.

Pour some libation from west to east

Oh great Poseidon, we thank you for your intercession on our behalf.

Next pour yourself and guests a drink and repeat the above with a drink
at the end.

Pour some libation from south to north

intone Oh great Neptune, accept this vessel "insert boat name" into your
protection to travel the seas.

Pour some libation from north to south

intone Oh Great Poseidon, add to your register of the seas this vessel
"insert boat name" and grant her and all who sail on her safety.

pour yourself and guests a firm dollop and intone the above.

= = = =

I hope that helps

Capt Frank

Steve Helling wrote:

I know this is probably a little silly, but . . .

I'm considering buying a boat that I otherwise like, except the name, which
I don't. I believe there is an old nautical superstition that it's bad luck
to change a boat (or ship) name. I'm wondering how commonly this is done,
and does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Steve H.

Keith

See:
http://www.sailnow.com/sail/denaming1a.html