Default Staying cool

This past weekend in the woods was beautiful except for one thing.
Although it was only 88 degrees, I felt as if I was overheated from
tromping thru the woods. Most of the time I was wearing a caving
helmet and I found that when I took it off I was much more comfy. In
the past, I have noticed I cannot wear any sort of hat in anything but
winter weather otherwise I overheat. Instead I wear a visor to block
the sun from my eyes. I have concluded that most of my overheating is
because my head gets too warm. It is no longer a matter of simply
being uncomfortable but has become a serious safety issue for me.
So, how much would getting a crew cut haircut help? Generally, I
think having some hair prevents sunburn. Those of you who have little
hair, how much do you burn? Does sunscreen help? Would a bandanna
soaked in cold water help. In the past, I have dunked a hat in water
to cool by evaporation and it helps some.

In article 5a2dc87e-724e-464c-b75b-ba366612e867
@r4g2000prm.googlegroups.com, says...

[...]

Well, I have a leather (Aussi Outback) hat I usually wear but when it
gets hot, I have a woven (fake reed, probably nylon) Outback that lets
some air come off the head.. It seems to do the trick nicely letting out
the moisture and heat the solid leather hat keeps in but still is enough
to keep the heat off and the sun off of your face, back, neck and
shoulders. BTW, both of the hats are black, I am sure white would even
be better. An Outback is similar to a cowboy hat but with a much
narrower brim... Just for reference.

As to longer hair, I have it on the back and sides, I guess you could
call it a mullet although when I was rockin' in the 80's we called it a
shag. Either way, the hair up top and front is only 2-3 inches long and
cut to stay out of my face which helps a lot in the heat too...

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

I wear a cotton baseball cap or a cotton boating hat with a full
circular brim. If it is really hot on the boat, I dip the hat in the
water and put it back on.

On Mar 22, 3:35*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Your head dissipates much of the heat your body generates. There's a
product out there that is a tube of pellets that absorb water, then
you wear it around your neck. It helps to cool you neck, and the
blood that flows through it, to lower your body temp. Maybe that
would help?

Here's one of the sources:
http://www.coolhats.com.au/cool_snakes.html

On Mar 22, 4:28*pm, "Jack." wrote:
[...]

I do use the pellet tube thing and it sorta works and I also do what
Harry suggests, especially when canoeing in cold spring water.
Realizing it is mostly a matter of cooling my head two days ago has me
wondering if I can solve the problem while avoiding sunburn. Baseball
caps are too thick so I'd like something very thin made of cotton I
could dunk in cold water every few minutes, That on a nearly bare
head might be the solution.

Frogwatch wrote:
On Mar 22, 4:28 pm, wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:35 pm, wrote:

[...]

My full brim hat is a cotton tilly. You can find lots of 'em he

http://www.tilley.com/Hats.aspx

Probably this model...mine is at least 15 years old, so there may have
been some changes, but it looks like this:

http://www.tilley.com/The-T2-Cotton-Duck-Hat.aspx

On Mar 22, 4:55*pm, Harryk wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
On Mar 22, 4:28 pm, *wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:35 pm, *wrote:

[...]

My Tilley is a winter hat. too hot for summer.

Im not going anywhere.....staying right here... *e#c General 0 January 17th 11 02:28 PM
Staying Cool and Dry! Capt. Rob ASA 1 June 4th 06 05:30 PM
I'm back but not staying. Jim General 6 January 21st 04 04:42 AM
I'm Staying! Bobsprit ASA 1 October 22nd 03 11:02 PM
I'm Staying. STAYING!!!! Bobsprit ASA 18 August 14th 03 07:20 AM