Default A pretty day in the woods

No boating although there was some water involved. Decided to go look
for some caves near Marianna, Fl before the woods got too overgrown to
see anything and before it got too snakey.
It was one of those days and places so jar droppingly pretty it made
me wonder how appreciation for such beauty could have evolved.
A high bluff overlooking Merritts Mill Pond a crystal clear spring fed
lake. The woods were mostly hardwoods with Magnolia, Beech, hickory
and others but the striking thing was the ground covered so thickly
with Atamasca Lillies that one could not walk without stepping on
them. These are small (about 8 " high" and white with a touch of
purple and yellow stamens. Areas as large as several acres covered
with them. Trillium were just starting to come out with their three
leaves and small purple lilly-like flowers. Dogwoods were in full
bloom too. We saw two Silverbell trees, smallish trees covered with
small bell-like white flowers each trimmed with tiny green dots near
the edges of the petals. In upland areas near pines (no caves there)
the Crabapple trees were in full bloom with their whiteish and pinkish
flowers with honeybees all over them. Also in the upland areas were
the blackberry vines with their low white flowers. Yellow jasmine
covered the scrub-oaks and Wisteria that had gone wild hung in
curtains of bluish-purple fragrant masses. In the lower hardwoods were
Buckeye shrubs with their bright red honeysuckle-like flowers. We
even saw some Columbine flowering, sorta unusual in Florida except in
this extreme northern part.
A herd of deer, 6 does and one buck we saw was hanging out in the area
as was a bunch of turkeys, just a week before turkey season starts.
First cave we found was a tiny slot in the rock overlooking the lake.
As soon as we entered it, we heard an angry hissing and saw an 8" tall
ball of greyish downy fluff, a baby vulture with its mom protecting
it. The vultures like to nest in these tiny caves and protect their
young by barfing on intruders (yes, I have seen it happen). We backed
away from the angry hissing mom and decided to try this cave another
time.
Next cave was a 20' pit that quickly ended in water, no fun there.
Next was a small opening with a nice little room. It quickly pinched
off in a narrow corridor.
Next was a nice little one leading down to water and a long hallway.
The other end of the hallway led to an opening at a cliff but we could
not traverse the water. Going outside to the other end, it ended in a
nice opening on a tiny very snake and gatorish looking duckwood
covered pond. The bright green duckwood was great contrast against
the darkness of the cave. None of us was enthusiastic about entering
this water; getting snake bit and then gator bit woulda ruined the
day.
Last cave was a bit higher on the hill so a bit deeper, a tiny 2' wide
chimney dropping 30' and then it belled out at the bottom making it
very difficult for any animals to climb as evidenced by the bones of
coons and possums down there on the floor. It went several hundred
feet in 3 directions along narrow fissure passages but pinched off.
All in all, a great day in the woods before it gets too hot.

Welcome to Woods and Water lil abner General 0 May 1st 10 02:52 AM
In the woods HarryKrause General 0 June 29th 05 09:17 PM
Lake Of The Woods Recommendations [email protected] General 0 February 22nd 05 01:31 PM
Paddling in the woods after dark Professional Target General 11 September 27th 04 03:05 PM
Richard Woods 40' Catamaran Evan Gatehouse Cruising 1 September 18th 03 03:18 PM