Junior Member

Default auxilary motor

my first time hi i have a 20ft cuddy cabin boat im looking for a back up motor. i need to know what ize of motor i could use. i have a 55 hp johnson is it to big or could i use it as a back up. please anyone let me know anyone.

Last edited by peter paul : February 15th 11 at 03:43 AM

On 2/14/11 10:30 PM, peter paul wrote:
my first time hi i have a 20ft cuddy cabin boat im looking for a back
up motor. i need to know what ize of motor i could use. i have a 55 hp
johnson is it to big or could i use it as a back up. please anyone let
me know anyone.

What is the main power on the boat? Inboard, I/O, four-cycle outboard?
You probably want an auxiliary engine to match the sort of fuel you have
in your main tank, which should supply the engine(s) through a
Racor-style filter. 55 hp seems much too large for a backup engine for
the boat. How would you mount it on the boat? I've never seen an
outboard that size on an auxiliary bracket. I've seen lots of 25-footers
with backup outboards of 10 hp.