stupid boater

Default lack of oil

ran my starboard engine almost dry of oil, the engine did not seize or
overheat but now emits a noticeable ticking sound, any ideas, replaced
oil dumped some transmission fluid down the carburetor still have the
ticking sound the oil pressure and temp are fine.

F330 GT

Inboard

jps wrote:

Inboard or outboard?

"stupid boater" wrote in message
ran my starboard engine almost dry of oil, the engine did not seize or
overheat but now emits a noticeable ticking sound, any ideas, replaced
oil dumped some transmission fluid down the carburetor still have the
ticking sound the oil pressure and temp are fine.

Hydraulic lifter would be my guess. Does it go away with some rpm's?
A Compression check to rule out valve or ring damage wouldn't hurt.

Barry
noah

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:27:55 GMT, stupid boater
wrote:

ran my starboard engine almost dry of oil, the engine did not seize or
overheat but now emits a noticeable ticking sound, any ideas, replaced
oil dumped some transmission fluid down the carburetor still have the
ticking sound the oil pressure and temp are fine.

Does sound like valve chatter, as Barry said. If your lifters are
solid, you can get the lash adjusted fairly cheaply. If hydraulic,
you may have to replace them.

Good luck,
....carry on.
noah

To email me, please remove the "FISH" from the net.

noah

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:45:08 -0500, "Jason"
wrote:

if it was a outboard?

It was an inboard.
If an outboard was "ticking", I would suspect a bearing or wrist pin.
Hard to say, since that wasn't the problem described.