Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default What is freedom worth?

I really didn't think these guys were serious but turns out they are.
A big furrin company wants to buy my business. It aint much of a
business but it is mine and it allows me to have lots of freedom to go
sailing when I want (although I rarely do). Just knowing I really can
take off if I want is a real safety valve.
Now this company only wants to buy my biz IF I WORK FER EM
TOO.............."meh". Being an employee sucks and I have not been
such for over 16 yrs. Am not sure I could do it, sit at work wishing
I could get on my boat and leave but knowing I can't do that until
retirement, GAWD, suicide time it'd be so depressing. I rarely take
that much time off and when I do I work on stuff I take with me. In
Summer, I go wander round the mountain in Wyoming and think, write
techie stuff and solve techie probs. Would an employer understand that
mode of operation?
Would it be THAT diff working for someone else? Yeah, they'd pay me
much better than I pay myself and would pay a lot for the business but
what would I do with that much more money and no freedom? I'd rather
work for less and be more free (to a point). Both myself and my wife
are cheap people, I'd rather drive an old truck with 330,000 miles
than make payments, our house costs less than anybody else I know, we
have no debt and I would not buy a bigger boat even if I had the money
(I'd build one though)
I even think they'd keep my business where it is and just give me more
people and cool toys to do stuff but I'd be workin for the man.
Working for someone else'd violate my personal philosophy of
independence and I'd feel like a hypocrite (but think of the money and
having someone else to do all the **** stuff).
Yup, it's tempting to finally have someone willing to finance the
stuff I want to do at work. OTOH, I don't wanna sell my soul.
Sooooo, have someone to pay for my fun work stuff or be a free man?

Freedom at Amberley OzOne ASA 0 October 5th 08 08:05 AM
Freedom from responsibility [email protected] ASA 10 November 1st 07 03:33 PM
More Freedom! Bob Crantz ASA 0 November 22nd 05 02:24 PM
FREEDOM Capt. Rob ASA 5 April 13th 05 03:11 AM
freedom 25 Pete Phillips Cruising 1 September 17th 04 01:46 PM